Anyone ever used a Nail Bar?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Anyone ever used a Nail Bar?

Post by Sam Spoons »

ManFromGlass wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 pm I’ll stick to nylon picks, thanks.

Don't get me started :madas::D

Give some decent hard/stiff pics a try, not from a feel PoV, ignore that and listen to your guitar sound. Delrin and Nylon are too soft to sound good IMHO and anybody I have demonstrated the difference to has agreed with me. It matters less with an electric and hardly at all with highly distorted electric but on an acoustic the difference is night and day.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19730 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Do you not find that different stiffnesses work for different parts?
If I'm after a bit of gentle, fill-in strumming, then a nice soft, floppy pick does the job.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Albatross »

Too many jokes :D
Albatross
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2415 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia

Post by Sam Spoons »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:08 pm Do you not find that different stiffnesses work for different parts?
If I'm after a bit of gentle, fill-in strumming, then a nice soft, floppy pick does the job.

I've become a little less militant these days but I find it hard to see/hear good sounding acoustic guitars being played with thin nylon picks which make them sound like the proverbial 'Sears-Roebuck special'. My thinest/softest picks are Wegen Bluegrass picks. 1.4mm and quite stiff for the thickness, I will use those for strummed parts. I mostly use the Wegen Gypsy picks on acoustic or the smaller Twins for electric, both 3.5mm thick and very stiff, but I'll happily play with the BG picks now where a few years ago I wouldn't use anything but the Gypsy picks.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19730 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.