XY/NOS miking

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

XY/NOS miking

Post by Gizmo1977 »

Using two small condenser microphones (XY or NOS) for a small drum/percussion kit. Besides a kick mic, would miking the snare give any relevant improvement? More problems? Or would you rather separate the condensers one on each side in case the snare was miked?

Thanks in advance!
Gizmo1977
Poster

Re: XY/NOS miking

Post by Guest »

For a minimal setup I would use the condensers as overhead mics and individually mic the kick and snare.

Post by Matt Houghton »

There are so many options, and really it all depends on the context: what result you want to achieve and the degree of control you require at mixdown to make the drums work with a given track.

Generally, I tend to prefer building the main image of an acoustic kit from overheads and/or room mics, and then having close mics to give me more options for reinforcement, triggering and/or reverb at mixdown. And I'll always have at least a kick and a snare mic... not least because with those as a trigger source I can reinforce the OH/room mics pretty much however I want. But it's perfectly possibly to get great results without such shenanigans...

There are some great examples in this article on minimal drum miking techniques.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by MarkOne »

I’m always amazed by what was achieved “back in the day” when classic albums were made with 16, 8 and even 4 track recorders, and by todays standards quite modest consoles.

Big rock albums from the early 70s might well only have had 3 or 4 mics on the kit.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify