Google Drive for Musicians - Benefits?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Google Drive for Musicians - Benefits?

Post by James Perrett »

Folderol wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:43 pm Please keep in mind that 'Cloud' = someone else's computer (and in an unknown location).
This can be blocked/switched off at any time without notice.

If you are paying for it then they'd be in breach of contract if they switched it off. Google have been around for something like 25 years and offer a broad range of services so they're unlikely to disappear anytime soon.

However, I don't use it as my only backup - I keep at least 2 copies myself too.
James Perrett
Posts: 14377 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Google Drive for Musicians - Benefits?

Post by James Perrett »

james090 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:33 am Do the different tiers add any storage to your Gmail also? (A bit off topic I know)

So if you back up, Ableton sessions, masters, samples etc to Google drive, and then delete them from your Mac. I guess it’s just a case of re downloading them to your Mac to resend to someone (or does it go direct from the cloud?) And also download to work on a project again in a DAW?

The space is shared across all of the Google services that you use. So you could have 30GB of email, 50GB of shared files and 20GB of photos as part of your 100GB allowance if you go for the lowest paid tier.

If you want to send a file to someone just get Google to give you a link and then your collaborator can access the file direct from the cloud. You can choose whether they have write access or just read access.

On Windows the drive looks just like a network connected drive so, in theory, it may be possible to work direct from the cloud but I've not tried it.
James Perrett
Posts: 14377 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page