New interface - performance gain?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

New interface - performance gain?

Post by Stig Ø »

Apologies if this has been asked before - please tell me to RTFM in that case.

I have a ten year old Apogee Duet 2 which suits my needs, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm thinking about replacing it with an RME Babyface FS(?). I saw in the SOS review that the low latency performance was very good. Will this enable me to record with lower latency on my 2015 iMac with a smaller CPU hit, or is the computer still will be the weakest and most important link when it comes to latency?
Stig Ø
Regular
I make guitar noises

Re: New interface - performance gain?

Post by James Perrett »

I've never used any Apogee interfaces but I can certainly say that I can use my RME Digiface USB at lower buffer settings than my Zoom U-44. This is with a 2012 Dell Precision laptop which has a similar spec to the Macbook Pros of the time.

The software that you use is also important. I use Reaper with mainly stock plug-ins. If I use certain third party plug-ins the performance noticeably deteriorates.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by ef37a »

Hi Stig, from everything I have read about RME interfaces over many years I do not think you could do better in any specification department and only get lower latency with a TB3 interface.

You would also be buying into RME's legendary support and promise to never be made obsolete by OS changes.

No brainer IMHO.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Stig Ø »

Thank you both. It seems the Babyface is the right choice. I want to replace my current interface while it still is my decision - i.e. before it breaks. I was aware of RME’s reputation when it comes to solid drivers and long-time support. Seems the performance is the cherry on top. I forgot to say that I use Logic, and with the exception of Superior Drummer 3, only use the effects that come with logic.
Stig Ø
Regular
I make guitar noises

Post by James Perrett »

ef37a wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:04 am You would also be buying into RME's legendary support and promise to never be made obsolete by OS changes.

Never to be made obsolete may be taking it a bit far - my ancient 20 year old RME won't work with 64 bit OS's but it appears to still work under modern 32 bit OS's. The newer model that came out the same year that I bought mine IS still supported.
James Perrett

Post by ef37a »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 pm
ef37a wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:04 am You would also be buying into RME's legendary support and promise to never be made obsolete by OS changes.

Never to be made obsolete may be taking it a bit far - my ancient 20 year old RME won't work with 64 bit OS's but it appears to still work under modern 32 bit OS's. The newer model that came out the same year that I bought mine IS still supported.

Ah well, WTGR James, going to 64 bits was a technical improvement change not Ms or Apple dicking about with code.

When VHF FM came about you had to buy a new radio! FM stereo? (although Quad did make an adapter)

And I agree with the OP. XP was THE best and nothing since is as easy to use. Wish I still had a chassis that runs it. I understand XP 64 was a bit of a dog's breakfast?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Dave, I’ve fixed up my Windows PC, and it needs an interface, you know I already have a Behringer 202HD for my portable rig, I’m thinking of just getting another one, the right decision now? can’t think of anything to compete, in terms of price, performance.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:00 am Dave, I’ve fixed up my Windows PC, and it needs an interface, you know I already have a Behringer 202HD for my portable rig, I’m thinking of just getting another one, the right decision now? can’t think of anything to compete, in terms of price, performance.

Surely you don't need to chase down the last quid Arp'? You just bought a digital mixer FCS!
Yes, the Behrrys are very good FOR THE MONEY and I would certainly suggest the 204HD I bought and passed on to son to a really cash strapped newb but the MOTU M4 is light years ahead. Now, I doubt you will hear any difference in noise floor or converter quality but it IS there and gives a great feeling of confidence. The M2 and M4 interfaces are close to state of art for sound quality.

Even son (who knows nothing) was deeply impressed with the difference in build quality and operational simplicity. They are very intuitive to setup and use. The audio loopthru' facility* is worth an extra 20 quid all on its own.

*I shall have something to say about that and other things about an AI in the new issue soon.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:00 am Dave, I’ve fixed up my Windows PC, and it needs an interface, you know I already have a Behringer 202HD for my portable rig, I’m thinking of just getting another one, the right decision now? can’t think of anything to compete, in terms of price, performance.

You've just bought a huge great 32 in and 32 out interface - why do you need another one?
James Perrett

Post by ef37a »

James Perrett wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:39 pm

You've just bought a huge great 32 in and 32 out interface - why do you need another one?

He said "portable rig" James. Maybe needs another or better one? Then, if he just needs to make a quick V/O waste of lektrik to fire up the 32/32?

And! An M2 would make a SUPERB D to A converter!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

ef37a wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:04 pmYou just bought a digital mixer FCS!

I thought the X32 was on loan for assessment.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:22 pm
ef37a wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:04 pmYou just bought a digital mixer FCS!

I thought the X32 was on loan for assessment.

Missed that. Oooooo! How do you wangle that sort of deal (if say you were just about to record a Gang Show) ?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster