Office freebie

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Office freebie

Post by BJG145 »

merlyn wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 am I like an inflexible pick. If I can bend it, it's no good for me. In the mainstream there is the Dunlop Jazz III which a lot of players use.

Jazz III FTW. The Ultex version is my standard pick, though I still haven't settled on the perfect strumming pick. I can't play rhythm with it.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

merlyn wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 am I like an inflexible pick. If I can bend it, it's no good for me. In the mainstream there is the Dunlop Jazz III which a lot of players use.

I'm a big Brian May fan and own a Burns replica of his Red Special guitar. I always play it using an old sixpence, just as Brian does, for authenticity when attempting Queen songs... but it works very well on non-Queen music and brings out harmonics and overtones in arpeggiated chords and such-like that my plastic plectrums cannot achieve.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4233 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by shufflebeat »

Forum Admin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:17 am I'm a big Brian May fan and own a Burns replica of his Red Special guitar. I always play it using an old sixpence, just as Brian does...

I'm very rich so like to play with a five pound note. It makes rapid picking difficult but I can always pay someone else to do that on my behalf.

Otherwise, Jim Dunlops of various thicknesses depending on the whether (I can find them or not).

Some days are a .73 day while others require an .88, thankfully I've not needed to hunt out anything beyond that for a while.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Wonks »

shufflebeat wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:48 pm
I'm very rich so like to play with a five pound note. It makes rapid picking difficult but I can always pay someone else to do that on my behalf.

:D

I remove the metal strips from multiple £50 notes, melt them down and cast them using a mould I made from a sixpence, thus getting the benefit of both the above choices. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by shufflebeat »

Classy.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by merlyn »

I used to have a cup full of Jazz IIIs. I preferred the red ones, which were made of nylon I think. A friend seeing the cup asked "Do you think you have enough picks?" The obvious answer was "Yes." I wasn't going to run out in the foreseeable future.

I now use Dugain picks :

https://www.dugainplectrums.com/

It was a friend recommended these. He had tried the wooden ones, but found they wear down quite quickly as he plays hard. He had graduated to agate. Really. It appears Dugain don't offer stone picks any more, but they do offer stainless steel :

https://www.dugainplectrums.com/metaldu ... -pick.html

I use the Minidug and I recently got one made out of 'Synthetic R' whatever that is. I tried the different types of plastic -- acrylic, acetate and delrin. Acetate was good, but it wore down quickly, so I used delrin for a while. That also wears down eventually, so I'm trying synthetic R which is "very, very resistant". If it still has a point after a year I would concur that it is indeed "very, very resistant".

There's also a new material -- galalith or milk stone. This is what used to be plastic before plastic. It's made of milk. Really. Tons of milk used to be used to make this before oil based plastic. It's probably what Django used, and I noticed it's what some of the picks on the Wegen picks site are made from.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by BigRedX »

I buy my most commonly used picks (Herco Flex 75s) in boxes of 100. I'm currently close to running out on my 4th box (since the mid 80s), which means that each pick lasts me just over a month before I either lose it or decide it has become too worn to be any good.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Rene Asologuitar »

BJG145 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:36 pm A set of "spudgers" or "pry tools" has been delivered to my desk, for cracking open laptops and tablets. And it includes a couple of snazzy guitar picks...I'm having those... :D
Very generous.
I do fingerstyle playing, and really do not any more picks.
Love this thread!

Rene Asologuitar
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

merlyn wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:06 pm I used to have a cup full of Jazz IIIs. I preferred the red ones, which were made of nylon I think. A friend seeing the cup asked "Do you think you have enough picks?" The obvious answer was "Yes." I wasn't going to run out in the foreseeable future.

I now use Dugain picks :

https://www.dugainplectrums.com/

It was a friend recommended these. He had tried the wooden ones, but found they wear down quite quickly as he plays hard. He had graduated to agate. Really. It appears Dugain don't offer stone picks any more, but they do offer stainless steel :

https://www.dugainplectrums.com/metaldu ... -pick.html

I use the Minidug and I recently got one made out of 'Synthetic R' whatever that is. I tried the different types of plastic -- acrylic, acetate and delrin. Acetate was good, but it wore down quickly, so I used delrin for a while. That also wears down eventually, so I'm trying synthetic R which is "very, very resistant". If it still has a point after a year I would concur that it is indeed "very, very resistant".

There's also a new material -- galalith or milk stone. This is what used to be plastic before plastic. It's made of milk. Really. Tons of milk used to be used to make this before oil based plastic. It's probably what Django used, and I noticed it's what some of the picks on the Wegen picks site are made from.

Michael Wegen doesn't say exactly what his picks are made of but I'm pretty sure it's an advanced acrylic used to make dentures not caesin (he keeps the exact formula a bit if a secret). His pics are all hand made and machined from solid not cast (he's a model maker by trade).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by merlyn »

I see. It turns out the galalith picks are not Wegen. They're on the djangoguitars site :

https://www.djangoguitars.com/Galalith- ... dg1gal.htm
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by Sam Spoons »

Yes I've heard of those, one is a replica of the pic Django was known to have used. I s'pose it's a sort of 'Organic Bakalite' :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by ManFromGlass »

I remember there was a certain formula of pick that was like a mini firework when you set it on fire. Flames in all directions. Almost exciting!!
ok - we all can’t afford to burn a guitar!
:smirk:
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada