How to control mic and mix volume while recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How to control mic and mix volume while recording

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Jmgweb77 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:18 pmI'll re-rig without the Mackie for awhile and see how it goes - especially beneficial if I can solve the headphone mix issues with the software.

I'm not sure that's going to work. You can set up different mixes in the mix-control software but if there's only one headphone output then you're still back to square one.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by resistorman »

The interface has 4 line outs, and I assume they're individually addressable from software. Seems to me you can send a couple with an alternative mix to the Mackie and use its headphone out.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Sam Spoons »

Sam Spoons wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:51 pm Still not sure why you need the Mackie? I'd ditch it and use the inputs on the F'rite for mic(s) and other instruments then send a stereo pair from the F'rite to the headphone amp. That way you can have separate mixes going to the HP amp and the F'rite HP output. The mixes can be achieved from your DAW or, I think, using the F'rite mix control app.

The Berry HP amp fed from the spare line outs from the Scarlett will provide the second mix.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Sam Spoons wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:41 pm
Sam Spoons wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:51 pm Still not sure why you need the Mackie? I'd ditch it and use the inputs on the F'rite for mic(s) and other instruments then send a stereo pair from the F'rite to the headphone amp. That way you can have separate mixes going to the HP amp and the F'rite HP output. The mixes can be achieved from your DAW or, I think, using the F'rite mix control app.

The Berry HP amp fed from the spare line outs from the Scarlett will provide the second mix.

You will need to make up a 2xMono-balanced to 1xStereo-unbalanced cable though!
Easier to just plug into the Mackie as Resistorman suggests.
Which does bring us back to my second suggestion...
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

True enough but the OP said the Mackie HP output was cutting out so it seems sensible to bin it rather than the, apparently working correctly, Berry HP amp.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.