Speaker cable coupling?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Speaker cable coupling?

Post by heavenorlasvegas »

I was wondering if it’s OK to use a standard coupler to connect two speaker cables going from an amp to a speaker.

Here is the coupler i have : https://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire/ ... d4QAvD_BwE

Is it?
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Re: Speaker cable coupling?

Post by resistorman »

For low wattage, sure.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

The amp I have is a shure vocal master. Its a 100 w amp. Would this be considered low wattage?
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Post by resistorman »

Probably better off with a longer cable.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by James Perrett »

I wouldn't use one of those on a speaker connection except in an absolutely dire emergency. A 100W amplifier can produce reasonably high currents so you need proper speaker cable and, preferably, proper speaker connectors.
James Perrett
Posts: 14356 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Awesome. Thanks you guys :sos:
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Post by ef37a »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:21 am I wouldn't use one of those on a speaker connection except in an absolutely dire emergency. A 100W amplifier can produce reasonably high currents so you need proper speaker cable and, preferably, proper speaker connectors.

I agree James but for an additional reason. There is only one inline jack socket I trust and that is the Neutrik locking type. All others are likely to either get pulled apart or suffer intermittent operation.

Most folks involved with music audio know that an open circuit speaker can bugger a valve amp. Not such common knowledge is that it can bork transistor amps as well, especially big ones at full chat. Class D amps have chunky inductors in their output circuits, the consequences of a load suddenly being removed at a peak to peak voltage of over 50V do not bear considering!

Use Speakons or 4 pole XLR.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16518 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk