What is this misty sound? (with link)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

What is this misty sound? (with link)

Post by zeinpm »

Hi! Can you identify this mysterious synth sound? I heard it in several songs but the only one I remember is that in the link. It is from 1992, ace of base - dancer in a daydream. It is the sound from the main melody
Someone said it is from Roland other said from Korg and some says it is an fm bell...and I don't know where to find it

https://m.soundcloud.com/xperience2/dan ... ydream-fin
zeinpm

Re: What is this misty sound? (with link)

Post by resistorman »

It sounds like one of those cheap Yamaha or Casio FM synths with the speaker miced.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

It sounds quite a lot like the factory preset "Strings 2" from a Yamaha DX7, possibly modified a bit, with some chorus, flanging or similar effect applied to it.

Any synth sound heard in a final commercial mix will often differ a bit from the original patch used due to EQ, dynamics processing and other effects applied during mixing and mastering.

Edit: Oh, you may have meant the bell sound as opposed to the string sound. Could be a variant of one of the factory electric pianos on the DX7 but there were so many soundbanks available for the synth it's hard to say. It certainly sounds 'FM-bell' like to me and if you search YouTube for 'FM Bell sound' you'll find a lot of stuff along those lines.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8822 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by resistorman »

resistorman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:55 pm It sounds like one of those cheap Yamaha or Casio FM synths with the speaker miced.

Yes, the bell sound. BTW, this was not meant to be sarcastic or derogatory.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by t-sun »

I agree, sounds like a home keyboard from the time. Sounds more 2-op FM than Casio's consonant-vowel sounds but it's been a while since I had one of the really old casios. Doesn't necessarily have to have been mic'd, a lot of them had audio outputs. I just spent an hour last week sampling the Casio Rapman I had in the back of a closet.
t-sun
Regular