Question regarding linking MIDI controller to automation in Pro Tools

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Question regarding linking MIDI controller to automation in Pro Tools

Post by Aleks_O »

Hi everyone, I hope all is well?

I have a bit of a n00b question regarding Pro Tools.

I want to connect one of the faders which is a midi controller on my keyboard, to the "gain" on stereo imager Pro Tools.

The idea is to just fiddle with the gain subtley several times a second to record an automation to make my strings sound much more realistic.

It doesn't seem I can just right click on the stereo imager's gain fader and allow it to recognise the movements of the midi controller fader, so how do I go about this?

(also I noticed we can't attach images anymore which sucks, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Aleks
Aleks_O
Poster

Re: Question regarding linking MIDI controller to automation in Pro Tools

Post by zenguitar »

We have never hosted images on the forums.

Here's a link to a topic explaining how to insert images into posts...

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... hp?t=75253

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Aleks_O »

zenguitar wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:34 pm We have never hosted images on the forums.

Here's a link to a topic explaining how to insert images into posts...

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... hp?t=75253

Andy :beamup:

Oh right, I think I must of been confused with the Mod Wiggler forum then!

So no one knows how to do this in Pro Tools then? How to control the automation of a parameter in a plugin, with a MIDI controller?
Aleks_O
Poster

Post by ef37a »

Maybe re-assigne the pitch bend pot?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Luke W »

Aleks_O wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:37 am So no one knows how to do this in Pro Tools then? How to control the automation of a parameter in a plugin, with a MIDI controller?

It depends on the particular plug-in you're using, and whether the developers have implemented MIDI learn for the parameters. It sounds like you've tried that with no luck, so it's possible that the plug-in you're using doesn't support it.

If that is the case, there will be other ways to achieve what you're trying to do though. What are you using for your string sounds?
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Aleks_O »

ef37a wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:10 am Maybe re-assigne the pitch bend pot?

Dave.

Thanks, I'll try look into that :)

Luke W wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:58 am
Aleks_O wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:37 am So no one knows how to do this in Pro Tools then? How to control the automation of a parameter in a plugin, with a MIDI controller?

It depends on the particular plug-in you're using, and whether the developers have implemented MIDI learn for the parameters. It sounds like you've tried that with no luck, so it's possible that the plug-in you're using doesn't support it.

If that is the case, there will be other ways to achieve what you're trying to do though. What are you using for your string sounds?

So basically I'm using Waves stereo imager in Pro Tools, I wanted to use something which was the equivalent of "Gain" in Logic, but I'm not sure what is in Pro Tools. I wanted to do it on a plug in instead of automate the faders because obviously if I need to do any more mixing that would be a problem (just thought I'd mention that so people understand why I'm doing what I'm doing).

The string sounds are from Spitfire Symphonic Strings, however they are track outs which I imported and which were bounced from Logic. I'm just trying to integrate doing the final mix in Pro Tools into my workflow, as I guess that's the more "professional" industry kind of standard and I'm just trying to get used to it.

I'm starting to think I might as well import the track outs into another Logic project and do it in there though, unless of course you might have a workaround in mind?

Cheers!
Aleks_O
Poster

Post by Dave Rowles »

Aleks_O wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:10 pm I'm just trying to integrate doing the final mix in Pro Tools into my workflow, as I guess that's the more "professional" industry kind of standard and I'm just trying to get used to it.

Learning ProTools is a good idea, but what you're doing sounds like you're creating process for the sake of it. There is nothing "professional" about exporting from one DAW and mixing in another if you're the mixer in my opinion. It's just creating a time sink, and even if you ascribe a "sound" to a DAW, by exporting from Logic you'd be printing that "sound" anyway.

I think the Pro-Tools equivalent plugin you're looking for is TRIM btw.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1455 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Luke W »

Aleks_O wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:10 pm The string sounds are from Spitfire Symphonic Strings

The most effective method will be to use the functionality built in to the library itself, before anything gets bounced to audio. I've not used SSS myself, but it looks like the mod wheel will be mapped to dynamics by default, as with their other libraries. If you automate this whilst (or after) playing, then not only will it be nice and easy to control from your keyboard/controller, but it'll sound far more authentic than simple volume automation as it will be crossfading between samples recorded at different playing levels.

I'm with Dave regarding the use of a second DAW as well. There's nothing wrong with doing that if you want to, but there's also nothing wrong with doing everything in Logic from start to finish, plenty do in fact! Learning another piece of software can be handy, but do it because you want to, not because you think you have to. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Aleks_O »

Dave Rowles wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:51 pm
Aleks_O wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:10 pm I'm just trying to integrate doing the final mix in Pro Tools into my workflow, as I guess that's the more "professional" industry kind of standard and I'm just trying to get used to it.

Learning ProTools is a good idea, but what you're doing sounds like you're creating process for the sake of it. There is nothing "professional" about exporting from one DAW and mixing in another if you're the mixer in my opinion. It's just creating a time sink, and even if you ascribe a "sound" to a DAW, by exporting from Logic you'd be printing that "sound" anyway.

I think the Pro-Tools equivalent plugin you're looking for is TRIM btw.

I hear what you're saying, but to mix the stems / track outs in a new project is pretty standard, so I thought why not do it in Pro Tools for aforementioned reasons of it being industry standard etc. Would just be good a DAW to know for professional reasons.

It wouldn't take longer to import it in there than another Logic Pro project file at the end of the day... but point taken anyway! :)

Luke W wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:46 pm
Aleks_O wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:10 pm The string sounds are from Spitfire Symphonic Strings

The most effective method will be to use the functionality built in to the library itself, before anything gets bounced to audio. I've not used SSS myself, but it looks like the mod wheel will be mapped to dynamics by default, as with their other libraries. If you automate this whilst (or after) playing, then not only will it be nice and easy to control from your keyboard/controller, but it'll sound far more authentic than simple volume automation as it will be crossfading between samples recorded at different playing levels.

I'm with Dave regarding the use of a second DAW as well. There's nothing wrong with doing that if you want to, but there's also nothing wrong with doing everything in Logic from start to finish, plenty do in fact! Learning another piece of software can be handy, but do it because you want to, not because you think you have to. :thumbup:

Yeah so with dyanmics and vibrato all that is sorted already, what I mean here is to tinker with the volume ever slightly several times per second, it's just a fancy tip I read somewhere and it's supposed to add even more realism to the strings.

But yeah I guess I'm probably just going to do it in Logic Pro now tbh!
Aleks_O
Poster

Post by Luke W »

Aleks_O wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:14 pm Yeah so with dyanmics and vibrato all that is sorted already, what I mean here is to tinker with the volume ever slightly several times per second, it's just a fancy tip I read somewhere and it's supposed to add even more realism to the strings.

That's fair enough. In that case, you could go for just writing volume automation as you mentioned earlier but assign some VCA masters to the tracks so that you've still got an overall level control whilst preserving your automation data.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Aleks_O »

Luke W wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:28 pm
Aleks_O wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:14 pm Yeah so with dyanmics and vibrato all that is sorted already, what I mean here is to tinker with the volume ever slightly several times per second, it's just a fancy tip I read somewhere and it's supposed to add even more realism to the strings.

That's fair enough. In that case, you could go for just writing volume automation as you mentioned earlier but assign some VCA masters to the tracks so that you've still got an overall level control whilst preserving your automation data.

Sorry I never got back to you on this - ok brilliant I'll take that into account too then.. thanks mate!
Aleks_O
Poster