Bass VST's that have an acoustic bass sound?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Bass VST's that have an acoustic bass sound?

Post by pax-eterna »

I'm looking for a good Bass VST that also included Acoustic Upright basses. Had a look at Ujam and Trillian (EDIT : since found Trillian does but at near $400AUD way too expensive!) and while they sound very good there are no acoustic basses.

Can someone recommend one? I have good ones in ST4, but I am looking for a stand-alone bass vst. MODO Bass from IK also has no acoustic basses.
pax-eterna
Regular

Re: Bass VST's that have an acoustic bass sound?

Post by Luke W »

MODO Bass 2 has added an upright bass.

Just had a quick look around and it seems that Sienna Bass by Sound Magic is a free acoustic bass VI, no idea how good it is and it's Windows only, but I'm guessing that's no issue based on the section you're posting in!
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by RichardT »

Premier sound factory have a pretty good upright bass.

I tried the Amplesound upright bass, but it didn’t suit me - but it might be right for you.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4170 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by MaestroMikeT »

You said Trilian doesn’t have acoustic?! Yes it has, and a mighty collection I must add, with the added benefit of DI or mic options. It’s a steep investment, but one that can really pay off. I can’t seem to remember how much I paid all those years ago, but I don’t remember nothing in the vicinity of 400 dollars

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
MaestroMikeT
Poster

Post by MaestroMikeT »

MaestroMikeT wrote:You said Trilian doesn’t have acoustic?! Yes it has, and a mighty collection I must add, with the added benefit of DI or mic options. It’s a steep investment, but one that can really pay off. I can’t seem to remember how much I paid all those years ago, but I don’t remember nothing in the vicinity of 400 dollars

Ooops, just saw 400 AU dollars… something like 200 and something euros. Yep, that’s more like it, my bad :)

MaestroMikeT
Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

I’ve found the UJAM one sits nicely in a track without a lot of work. A little iffy as a solo instrument but moves can be made to make it sound like it’s played by a human. The Trillian is nice but a bit $$ as you say. I remember by being impressed by the Trillian one as a solo instrument which might mean a bit EQ is necessary so it doesn’t fight anything in it’s range.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6666 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Drew Stephenson »

EZBass do an upright expansion, but it's 80E and you need the core EZBass at 165E.
But they do have sales fairly frequently so it's worth keeping an eye on if you're not in a rush.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by pax-eterna »

Thanks to all.

As I would also need Electric bass (and variations) and as Ujam bass modules are only one "flavour" per, by the time I bought three its WAY over the price of Trillian.

I'll check out MODO 2 (at least I can use Jam Points :) ) and see what the acoustic bass sounds like...
pax-eterna
Regular