Crackling at low latencies on M1 Mac, recording audio with no plugins

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Crackling at low latencies on M1 Mac, recording audio with no plugins

Post by claz »

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for this bugaboo:

I'm getting intermittent pops and crackles at low latencies on a machine that should be able to handle a decent workload at low buffers.

I need the low buffers for live overdubbing without latency.

Worse, the crackles end up in the recording; it's not just a monitoring issue.

Equipment:
- M1 Max Macbook Pro, 64GB Ram
- Motu M4, latest driver / firmware
- Mac OS 12.4
- Reaper 6.59 (also happens in Logic, seemingly less)

Test case:
- In Reaper
- Recording two audio tracks: a mono vocal and stereo piano
- No plugins
- 44.1kHz
- no other CPU intensive processes running in the background

Result
- crackles occur below a buffer of 1024 samples

I've done everything I can think to do (updates, checking connection, restarting), and it's driving me crazy!

Any troubleshooting/diagnostic suggestions appreciated.
claz
Regular

Re: Crackling at low latencies on M1 Mac, recording audio with no plugins

Post by muzines »

This sounds like driver issues to me - does the M4 have an Apple silicon native driver?
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by claz »

Indeed it does: https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-big-sur/

Some drivers require disabling the new hardened runtime, but I don't believe this one does.
claz
Regular

Post by claz »

It just occurred to me that this could be an electrical problem, and that the buffer size issue could be a red herring.

If it were electrical, I would expect constant noise of some kind, though, right, whether hum or crackle?

I do occasionally get a kind of quiet "nyeaahh" noise (pitched around 400Hz if memory serves) that seems to pass through the system -- it's less frequent, and I assume unrelated. I haven't had the DAW recording during that one, so I'm not sure if it's just in the monitors or the interface.

Electrical connections: Wall outlet --> power line conditioner (3 prong) --> keyboard, speakers, monitor, mac (all 3 prong, except keyboard, which is 2).

Not intentionally trying to complicate things, just trying to check all possibilities...
claz
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Do you get the same issue with both speakers and headphones?
It might be worth starting with the simplest set up you can, i.e. Macbook on battery, M4, headphones, then adding components back in one at a time to see if something is triggering it - either a ground loop or a lack of a ground.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24574 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by claz »

The battery idea is excellent, thanks -- the keyboard can even run on batteries, so I may start completely unplugged! (Though I still suspect it's buffer- or driver-related.)
claz
Regular

Post by Wonks »

If it goes away when you set the buffer size above 1024 samples, then I really don't think it's electrical noise related.

On a Windows machine, I'd suspect some other program hogging the processor, but I have no idea if this can happen with a Mac.

Got any hardware monitoring programs to view processor % usage when you get the crackles? If you aren't hitting 100% (or very near it) then it's not classic processor overload dropouts.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Sam Spoons »

OSX has an 'Activity Monitor' app built in which monitors the hardware in real time.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19698 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by RichardT »

There’s no way an M1 machine should struggle with a load like that. If it goes away with higher buffer sizes, then it can’t be electrical, radio interference or ground related.

I don’t know much about the technology of digital audio, but does the fact that the crackles get recorded suggest there is a problem with what’s coming into the Mac - ie are the crackles being output by the A to D converter? I don’t know though, maybe incoming signals enter some kind of buffer on the Mac before being recorded, in which case the above is completely wrong.

In any event, something is wrong. Do you have another audio interface you could use to see if it works?
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4173 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Dave Rowles »

Would totally agree. Have you got access to any other interface so you can test? I'd try changing the cable too because that's scuppered me a few times in the past.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1455 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Chromeman »

To the OP, if you go onto the Motunation website, you'll find quite a number of people with similar issues when using Apple Silicon Macs and MOTU hardware. No definitve solution but some have successfully changed cables, even replaced the unit itself etc etc. Maybe worth a read?
Chromeman
Regular

Post by Bob Bickerton »

An M1 Mac would eat that - so the problem will be to do with the interface or connection cables.

Have you switched out all the cabling? How’s the keyboard attached? Via line input or USB? If line input what levels are you recording at? If you’re recording keys and vocals at the same time, is the crackling on all tracks or just some?

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5088 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by claz »

Thanks to all for the suggestions and confirmation that this shouldn't be happening.

Lots of permutations to try, so I'm going to take a beat and work on those.

If I meet with success, I'll report back what worked!
claz
Regular

Post by claz »

Just thought I'd update this with results, in case anyone comes to this with a similar issues, and to say thanks for suggestions.

I did switch the M4's USB cable, and things seem to have improved.

I had been using a USB-C to C cable, and now, surprisingly, I'm using a USB-C to A-with-adapter-back-to-C (because it's all I had available).

I'm at a buffer size of 32 samples now, getting almost no clicks (every ~10 minutes instead of every 30 seconds) recording a couple of tracks of audio -- but still not none.

I wish I could understand *why* the USB cable would make a difference, so that I could remedy this completely -- but I'm also not 100% sure that all the clicks were the result of the cable.

Whenever I've heard one, I've tried to immediately open Activity Monitor, and the only thing I've noticed so far is that sometimes I have an automated backup running.

This should still consume only a fraction of the CPU I have available, so I'm not convinced that that's the cause, either.

The other thing I've done is unplug my Time Machine backups while recording.

So, hooray for progress, but too bad for remaining ambiguities. If the problem continues, I hope to get enough data for a definitive solution!

Thanks to all for troubleshooting with me.
claz
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

claz wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:35 pm This should still consume only a fraction of the CPU I have available, so I'm not convinced that that's the cause, either.

It isn't so much down to CPU but more down to whether it locks out any other interrupts or prevents any system calls from happening. If a badly written low level routine prevents anything else from running for half a millisecond then you'll end up with an interruption to the audio stream. 32 samples is very low in my experience with Windows although I don't know if the Mac works differently. It would almost certainly be safer to use 64.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Wonks »

It may well be that the USB C to C cable wasn't well made, or possibly damaged, and even though USB2 rather than USB3, some of the signals were getting corrupted and so rejected.

What you are left with are the odd dropouts due to the processor occasionally being too busy, as James says. You either need to spend time tracking down what process is occasionally holding things up, or else swap to a 64 sample buffer size.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by claz »

That all makes sense.

Latency drives me crazy when recording with VST instruments, hence a buffer of 32 -- but I shall continue to observe and optimize!
claz
Regular

What sample rate are you running at? Raising that will lower your latency.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Wonks »

Doing that will put more work on the processor. But if it's another program that very occasionally just holds an interrupt for too long, and the processor is otherwise coping with the audio, then you might get away with it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Indeed, but I think we've established that the processor isn't particularly stressed. So the buffer could be raised and offset slightly by a sample rate rise if the OP is using 44.1 or 48.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado