crackle noise when sliding over frets - single coil !

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

crackle noise when sliding over frets - single coil !

Post by heavenorlasvegas »

I have a nick johnston traditional. absolutely phenomenal guitar. love it.

However, when i slide over the frets i get a popping and crackling sound. how can i fix this?
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Re: crackle noise when sliding over frets - single coil !

Post by zenguitar »

Stop.

Think.

Now explain properly in FAR more detail.

Is the popping/crackling sound heard when you are playing the guitar unplugged, is it heard through the amp if you are plugged in, are you plugging into an audio interface and using a virtual amp as a plug-in?

What have you tried to do already to identify the problem?

I pointed this out when you asked your last lazy question and you haven't learned.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

hey man! thanks for the reply. the noise occurs when im plugged in, to an amp and direct to my interface as well.

its more of a "static" sound. I think that better describes it than "crackle" or "pop".
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Post by Wonks »

It is very likely to be static. There are a range different plastics used for scratchplates and pickguards, and some are very prone to a build-up of static electricity when you move your hands over the guitar.

I believe you are talking about a Strat-style guitar here.

The best way to stop the noise is to cover all the underside of the scratchplate with copper shielding foil or tape (might as well do the cavities as well and get the full benefit) and make sure that the foil is all properly connected to the signal ground,

There is normally a triangle of foil under the pots on Strat-style guitars, but this is often plastic coated and sometimes there is no physical connection between the foil and the metal of the pots. So any build-up of static on the scratchplate isn’t dissipated to ground but jumps to other bits of the guitar which gets picked up by the pickups as noise.

So I’d take all the controls off the scratchplate and fully cover the underside in copper foil. As it is uninsulated, it should have a good path to ground through contact with the pot casings.

Lots of videos on YouTube about foil shielding cavities.

You can get self-adhesive copper foil on Amazon or eBay cheaply, as well as DIY stores, and it is often sold as slug-repellant tape. Typically under £10/$10 for a 1” wide 30 metre roll that will do several guitars. Just make sure it states that the adhesive is conductive.

You can pay a lot more for bigger copper sheets which look neater but do exactly the same job and often require soldering between sheet joins for continuity.

I’d also check whether the string ground wire to the trem claw is fitted and intact. If not, fitting one or repairing it could solve the problem, so check that first.

I’d also
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Music Wolf »

Wonks wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:12 am
I’d also

To them only shall be given....................

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Wonks »

:thumbup:

“…and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi-- with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment.”

That’s me, that is.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Wonks wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:12 am It is very likely to be static. There are a range different plastics used for scratchplates and pickguards, and some are very prone to a build-up of static electricity when you move your hands over the guitar.

I believe you are talking about a Strat-style guitar here.

The best way to stop the noise is to cover all the underside of the scratchplate with copper shielding foil or tape (might as well do the cavities as well and get the full benefit) and make sure that the foil is all properly connected to the signal ground,

There is normally a triangle of foil under the pots on Strat-style guitars, but this is often plastic coated and sometimes there is no physical connection between the foil and the metal of the pots. So any build-up of static on the scratchplate isn’t dissipated to ground but jumps to other bits of the guitar which gets picked up by the pickups as noise.

So I’d take all the controls off the scratchplate and fully cover the underside in copper foil. As it is uninsulated, it should have a good path to ground through contact with the pot casings.

Lots of videos on YouTube about foil shielding cavities.

You can get self-adhesive copper foil on Amazon or eBay cheaply, as well as DIY stores, and it is often sold as slug-repellant tape. Typically under £10/$10 for a 1” wide 30 metre roll that will do several guitars. Just make sure it states that the adhesive is conductive.

You can pay a lot more for bigger copper sheets which look neater but do exactly the same job and often require soldering between sheet joins for continuity.

I’d also check whether the string ground wire to the trem claw is fitted and intact. If not, fitting one or repairing it could solve the problem, so check that first.

I’d also

super helpful man! thanks a bunch.
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

As Wonky says, definitely make sure the earth from the spring claw or bridge is connected to the electronics earth before doing anything else.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19694 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by scw »

If your guitar has a plastic strat style pick guard the other thing that can help dissipate the static at least temporarily is using a tumble dryer sheet (pick any brand) and rub it over the plastic guard. I do this with the back plate on Gibson guitars as well. Works like magic.
scw
Regular
Posts: 196 Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Scotland