EV elx200-12sp under Yamaha dxr8, thoughts?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

EV elx200-12sp under Yamaha dxr8, thoughts?

Post by shufflebeat »

I'm considering getting a couple of these little EV subs to go under my dxr8's which aren't getting used enough. I really like the dxr8s but they are kind of half-way between niches, which may be resolved by supplementing as described.

Anyone care to illuminate/speculate?

Goal would be function band pub/wedding scenario, with a little bass/drums through but not too loud. At the minute I'm using some Dynacord a118a bins under dxr12s but the car won't really take it.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_elx200_12sp.htm

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dy ... 112a-a118a
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Re: EV elx200-12sp under Yamaha dxr8, thoughts?

Post by Sam Spoons »

I tried a 12" EV sub (I think it was one of those) under a couple of TC VoiceSolo fx150 and it didn't work well so I sold it. Wish I'd kept it now to try under my Bose S1 Pro's. Definitely worth a try.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by shufflebeat »

My mate Joe (you met him) has been considering one of the Bose subs for his s1 pros. I'm thinking two of these is the same price (-ish) as a sub2.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Sam Spoons »

I've worked out that mine was a ZXA1-Sub without the DSP but the. manual for the one you linked says
OUTPUT – XLR output sends the input signal to another loudspeaker or subwoofer. INPUT 1 is linked to OUTPUT 1 and INPUT 2 is linked to OUTPUT 2. The MASTER VOL or DSP control settings do not affect OUTPUT.

So you would need a mixer with DSP or an external crossover integrate with the Bose S1s. For you, it should be possible to set the sub's DSP to match the frequency of the DXR8's HPF as it's LPF has both 100Hz and 120Hz available.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Looking at the frequency graph of the DXR8s, 120Hz might be better than 100Hz as there seems to be a 5dB-ish port boost around 100Hz, so a 120Hz crossover might flatten that off a bit.

But I’d try both and see which sounds best rather than work from a smoothed average response graph.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by AlecSp »

Any reason why you wouldn't just go easy and get the Yamaha DXS12?

Heavier, and bigger, but better specs on paper. Not speaking from experience.

The EVs are diddy, but I suspect the DXS12 would have more headroom and extension. Depends, maybe, on how hard you want to be able to push this system.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 669 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by shufflebeat »

AlecSp wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:46 pm
Heavier, and bigger...

...is the answer.

I have enough grunt to cover requirements already, I'm kinda thinking about the extent to which I can downsize before it becomes not enough. I'm impressed by my baby DXRs and if the EVs were a good match then I might have a system with an effective size:party ratio.

The crossover point is a good one. I may take one into the shop and see how the filters line up in musical terms.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

As always going for a proper listen before buying audio gear is a good plan.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

So, an update (don't you fknnn hate people starting a sentence with "so"?). I picked up the EV mentioned on approval.

I took my dxr12 and dxr8 to a Place of Great Loudness today and compared them by playing "The Boxer" by Simon & GuyFawkes which has some bass content and some depth of image.

The 12 has lots of oomph and sparkle but I noticed a whole load more detail around the 400Hz-1kHz zone when I went to the 8, still the sparkle, just not to much oomph.

Promising.

I put the EV12" under the 8 (hpf @120Hz to lighten the load) and set phasers to "stun". V nice except for a nasty honk around 500Hz (very rough estimate). I tried the various settings on the EV but the honk was still apparent. I put my hand to the panels but no real difference.

Then I played with the LPF on the EV, set that to 100Hz and - clean as a nut, or sweet as a whistle, take your pick. Revisited the dxr8 and set the HPF to 100Hz, didn't seem to make much difference.

I found the relative balance with dxr input @12 o'clock and EV in at +5(ish). I set phasers to "deadly". The EV went to "limit" before the dxr went to red but the level they were putting out between them was such that I would expect someone to ask me to turn it down at the gigs I'm considering this system for anyway.

Very satisfactory, encore du spend tomorrow.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

:thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by shufflebeat »

I've just done two outdoor school events with these and looking forward to trying them in a proper band setting, rehearsals this weekend should be informative without any commercial jeopardy.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster