Electronic cornet (or trumpet) for someone with low lung capacity?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Electronic cornet (or trumpet) for someone with low lung capacity?

Post by DC-Choppah »

Is there such thing as an electronic cornet for a player that has lost wind capacity?

I know there are some electronic trumpet-like instruments, but they appear to require a regular amount of wind.

I know a gentlemen who is a great cornet player but has lost his wind capacity. It would be great to find an instrument he could play that he could get a good sound out of, with a modest amount of wind.

Thnkx !!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2010 Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am Location: MD, USA

Re: Electronic cornet (or trumpet) for someone with low lung capacity?

Post by rockydennis »

Just taking a quick look online -

The Morrison digital trumpet has adjustable breath sensitivity. It's only a midi controller though, so he'll need some kind of hardware or plugin to provide the sound.
http://www.digitaltrumpet.com.au

Some (if not all) of the Roland Aerophone models have an adjustable breath curve - they do include a trumpet model, but they use saxophone fingering.
https://www.roland.com/global/categorie ... struments/
rockydennis
Regular

Post by BJG145 »

The Morrison is out of production. The Akai EWI only requires low breath pressure and has a fingering mode derived from trumpet fingering (and also has built-in sounds), though it's different so will need some re-learning. I went from trumpet to EWI myself though, and I've been very happy with it.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

I’ve always wanted the Yamaha electronic trumpet but I believe you either sing or hum into it while you finger the notes. Possibly a good compromise. There usually are some on the used market.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6684 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by DC-Choppah »

Hmmm seems that these did not catch on.

Just the EWI left. Found some of the Yamaha MIDI trumpets. They seem OK. And are self contained, which is cool.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2010 Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am Location: MD, USA