MSR800W

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

MSR800W

Post by csarami@ncsu.edu »

Hi there,

I was wondering if Yamaha's MSR800W can be used as a subwoofer for a home studio ( I know this is not ideal)? Type of music varies from electronic to pop, symphonic ....

Here is the specification of the speaker.

P
csarami@ncsu.edu
Regular

Re: MSR800W

Post by resistorman »

I wouldn't buy one, but if you have one available for free, why not give it a try? It seems like overkill for most home studios and something that would likely bring more trouble than satisfaction, but you never know. I have a much smaller subwoofer hooked up in my writing area of the studio just for feel and fun, but I don't mix with it.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Thank you for the prompt reply!

What do you mean by trouble? You many I will not be able to calibrate it with my stereo studio monitors?
csarami@ncsu.edu
Regular

Post by Wonks »

Too much bass. Unless you have a lot (and I mean a lot) if bass trapping, you are going to get a very lumpy and uneven bass end with lots of resonances.
Often better to use normal monitors and use headphones with a good bass extension if you want to hear what’s happening at the bass end.

It’s also large, so you will have less places you can put it, and positioning a sub correctly in the room is very important.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17001 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Wonks »

But you can always give it a go and see what you think.

I’d probably set the crossover to 80Hz, to avoid putting out low-mid frequencies that could upset your stereo balance.

Note that the bass response (graph in the user manual) is nowhere near flat, with a pronounced peak at 70Hz, which is about 2dB less with the crossover at 80Hz rather than 100Hz.

This should tell you that it won’t be much good as a studio sub, but could give you some decent thump just for pure music playback enjoyment rather than using it to mix with.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Finally, I passed buying this. I bought this.
csarami@ncsu.edu
Regular

Post by Wonks »

A much better match. Enjoy!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by resistorman »

Yep!