Novation DrumStation PSU

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Novation DrumStation PSU

Post by BillB »

Just picked up a DrumStation in very nice condition, starting to find my way around it. Unfortunately the PSU that it came with lost a leg inside a power strip - or rather the metal bit of the leg got left behind when I unplugged it from the power strip (the power strip has a slightly odd and aggressive L/N pin blanking mechanism).

Novation's FAQ mentioned using the PSU-4 and the DS spec says 9V 600mA, so I contacted Novation. They said they had a sutable power supply. £30 inc postage - over the odds for a PSU, could have picked up a MyVolts for around half that, but thought it best to go with Novation's recommendation.

Anyway, what has come through is 12V, 1.2A switch-mode non-branded chinese PSU. I appreciate that the current capacity is not an issue - the DrumStation will only take what it needs, but is the 12V PSU rating an issue for a 9V specification device or well within tolerance?
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Novation DrumStation PSU

Post by resistorman »

Presumably they know what they're doing. Unless there's a circuit diagram or other information you can dig up, I would put in a call and double check with their tech department.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by James Perrett »

What do the markings on the old power supply say? Or the label on the device itself?

If there are no labels (which would be very strange) I'd be tempted to contact Novation again to check. Some devices will be fine but the extra 3 volts could cause problems if the internal regulators couldn't dissipate the additional power caused by the extra volts. A problem like this could take months or years to become apparent (as owners of the Behringer ADA8000 know well).
James Perrett
Posts: 14350 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by nathanscribe »

Yeah, what they said, plus that is *very* expensive for a bog standard wart. :/

I've had issues with generic cheap DC PSUs before with other gear that was resolved by buying the official Roland/Boss model, but even so.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by BillB »

The spec on p49 of the manual says:
Power : 9VDC 500mA input. Use Novation PSU-4

Thanks for the tips to be wary - I will take it up with Novation again. And yes, it was expensive so it had better be right!
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by BillB »

OK, I have had this useful reply from Novation which suggests that they have thought about this. Presumably the additional voltage/current is within the capacity of the internal regulators.

Thanks for getting in touch about this. The Drum Station originally shipped with a 500mA 9V power supply. If you use it with the original power supply then getting 8 voices is only possible with shorter sounds as the 808 and 909 kick and toms use more resources than hats or snares. Getting a power supply that can provide more current will allow the unit to reach a more reliable 8 voice polyphony depending on how much extra current is provided. The polyphony could drop to as low as 4 with the original PSU.

We have tested this unit with modern Novation 12V 1.2A power supplies and this works reliably.

I hope this helps.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Well that's the sort of decently detailed answer that makes perfect sense, and may even encourage other Drumstation users to upgrade ;)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20625 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by BillB »

Indeed, Martin. It means a great deal that it is possible to write to Novation and get this kind of response. I can’t imagine the same thing happening with some of the other big names in the market.

Dear Roland. Why has my otherwise very nice System-8 got such meagre memory, poor patch management and non-existent sysex capability?

Tumbleweed rolls past.......
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

Nice that they responded, but if they shipped underpowered PSUs then they should have replaced all of them when they found out they'd screwed up.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by BillB »

It's a 1996 product:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/no ... rumstation

I'm happy to cut them some slack on this one!
BillB
Frequent Poster