independent music streaming site - any precedents?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: independent music streaming site - any precedents?

Post by wearashirt »

As an example, websites of recording studios already do this. They have a "Listen" page or a "discography" page where there's a selection of free-to-play music. Open a website on your phone's browser, then turn the screen off or go to Home. The website still plays.
wearashirt
Regular
Posts: 95 Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 am Location: Manila, Philippines

Post by blinddrew »

wearashirt wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:15 pm Subsidy is also a keyword, as it represents an institution paying for something on behalf of lay or rank and file persons.

I'm thinking of presenting the platform as an alternative for companies' digital workspaces, where employees can come together for music - whether work-mood music or perk up music - and also see other relevant company material, such as a co worker's music cover (embedded from Youtube?) or radio-style announcement from top management.

I've been thinking about this more and I think the bit I'm struggling with is the same one that most musician-led propositions have; which is that most people just don't care that much about music. For most people, most of the time, it's just nice background noise. That's why library music and even muzak exist.
The people who care enough about it will search out their own curated sources, the ones who don't won't care enough to find another platform.

I think, but I have precisely zero company incorporations under my belt so I wouldn't take my advice. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19737 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Post by wearashirt »

Thanks anyway for everyone's shark tank questions!

To answer my own question, there indeed is some precedent, albeit with a old and slow website - of bollywood pop music. Everything's there a click away. Quality is awful though.

I guess this confronts the elephant in the room where majority of the business is electric guitars and effects devices: who are the customers?

I've always been entrepreneurial, and I've been burned before, don't get me wrong. But, these are my ideas so far.
wearashirt
Regular
Posts: 95 Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 am Location: Manila, Philippines