Alphatrack & windows 10

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Alphatrack & windows 10

Post by Scouser »

I have an old Alphatrack and gave up some time back trying to install it with windows 8 or 9 whatever is was a while back and had no joy.

I now have windows 10 and still no joy, trying to get it to work with cubase 11. Is this something worth pursuing, or would I be better off cutting my losses and going for something like the X touch one ? Is that a better controller than the Alphatrack
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Re: Alphatrack & windows 10

Post by The Elf »

I had my AlphaTrack working on Win 7/8/10 with all Cubase versions - no problem. You have to force the drivers to load (it used to require running in compatibility mode) and place the correct supporting file for Cubase to pick it up - then it just works by selecting it as remote in Cubase.

I no longer have my AlphaTrack, but I use one at 'the other place' and my friend also still runs his under Win11/Cubase 12, so it definitely works. If you're still struggling I'll check where the Cubase file needs to go, as that's the part most people forget.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20029 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by James Perrett »

I have one working happily with Reaper in Windows 10 although I think the driver needs to be installed in compatibility mode and I use a third party plug-in with Reaper rather than the one included with Reaper.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Aled Hughes »

James Perrett wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:52 pm I have one working happily with Reaper in Windows 10 although I think the driver needs to be installed in compatibility mode and I use a third party plug-in with Reaper rather than the one included with Reaper.

Same here. Working happily under Windows 11.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Scouser »

Obviously me then.

Any install advice ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Install the AT driver using compatibility mode.

Then...

Make sure you put this file:
AlphaTrackCN64.dll

into:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase xx\Components

That should be it. Go into Cubase and create the remote.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20029 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.