Hofner Verythin CT Opinions ?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Hofner Verythin CT Opinions ?

Post by Mister Natural »

they are kinda rare in the US and I'm considering a used one here. Can you chime in on any/your experience with this instrument ?
Peace
Mister Natural
Poster
Posts: 68 Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:00 am Location: Michigan
the digital photo of that guitar just doesn't have the same warmth as the analog one https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Re: Hofner Verythin CT Opinions ?

Post by Wonks »

Pretty rare in the UK as well. I’m not sure that you’ll get any response here.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Fishnish »

I spent an afternoon trying a couple of the reissues a while back, mainly out of curiosity because I happened to be in a shop full of them, in Inverness of all places, with time to kill. I remember it because the salesperson was asking a few customers to try them so as to know what people thought of them. I think they were the Classic and CT models (I never came across an original so can't comment on those). Didn't end up buying one though, I have the semi hollow bases pretty well covered already.

I seem to recall they were indeed very thin, noticably more so than my other ES 3** type models and Ibanez AS semi hollow but the body was still quite wide at the lower bout. The woods were attractive but the finish was a quite thick and shiny poly. I don;t recall any issues with the hardware but neither was there anything special there - one had a trapeze tailpiece and one a stopbar - I'll admiit to quite liking trapeze tailpieces. Sound wise they had typical typical semi hollow thickness with decent sustain and perhaps a bit more "jangle" than expected - one more so than the other, not really sure now which was which but I think the CT might have been the thicker more typically 335 type toned one that was quite appealling to me. Feel wise one had a slim neck and the other a more chunky feel, again can't remember which was which, sorry.

I liked them, seemed servicable mid priced guitars but they didn't excite me that much probably because I have several thinline semi hollows already which I am pretty familiar with.
Fishnish
Regular

Post by Wonks »

UK guitar magazine review from 2018.

https://guitar.com/review/electric-guit ... ic-review/
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Mister Natural »

bought a red one - thanks for the feedback Mr Fish !
I don't have this type of guitar in my arsenal(Parker, Strat, Tele, 2Dreads) & have been lusting after a 335ish instrument for a couple of years. Gibsons have skyrocketed(izzat even a word?)in cost as have ALL the other brands and I can no longer afford $2k guitars, if I ever could. This Hofner re-issue is affordable, local and has pro shop set-up already.
Wish me luck
Mister Natural
Poster
the digital photo of that guitar just doesn't have the same warmth as the analog one https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Post by shufflebeat »

You've sent me.down a proper Hofner rabbit hole trying to find the model I used to play. It was beautifully constructed, luxuriously finished and totally devoid of character, a bit like a PRS acoustic.

Through neck, active pickups (I think, never got them working properly), wonderful fingerboard and well balanced. I'll report back if I ever find out the details.

I eventually swapped it for a Hofner President which was roughly chiselled and held together with Araldite. It had a single Gibson humbucker that I glued onto the end of the fingerboard and wire Sellotaped round the body.

It was everything I wanted from the other one.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Wonks »

I hope it's all you expect it to be when it arrives.

Let us know how you get on with it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by shufflebeat »

After much research and thumb-ache the nearest one I can find to mine is a late 80's Hofner Nightingale which it is suggested came between two verithin/verythin versions.

It was very classy but, like so many classy things, lacked actual charm and voice, Robert Fripp rather than Steve Jones (talking guitar tone here, Mr F is obviously an extremely charming man).

I would imagine the older Verithins wouldn't be quite so over-engineered and might benefit from a little more "shout", which I like, but not be quite so controllable. Newer, not so sure.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Mister Natural »

>Let us know how you get on with it.
Initially very happy ! The shop did a magnificent job of set-up. Completely different tone than my solid-bodies that's impossible to describe(& I hate reading someone's words like rounder, more defined, etc). What I can tell is that cleans are terrific and hi-gain is prolly better handled by Mr Parker or Strat. Exactly the semi-hollow midrange freqs that I was hoping for !
Cheers
Mister Natural
Poster

Post by Wonks »

Super!

Now just go and enjoy playing it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.