MKII Q88 not sending MIDI to TG100

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MKII Q88 not sending MIDI to TG100

Post by Wonks »

I don’t think you’ve said whether you’ve configured the MIDI output to go to the DIN port as previously mentioned. If you don’t it won’t work.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by James Perrett »

Wonks wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:39 pm I don’t think you’ve said whether you’ve configured the MIDI output to go to the DIN port as previously mentioned. If you don’t it won’t work.

As I understand it, you have to configure it to NOT send the MIDI output to the DIN connector. If you do a factory reset the DIN MIDI output should automatically be sending data from the keyboard without any further configuration. That's why I suggested a factory reset in my post above.

Or is there a software bug that means that the factory reset doesn't reset the DIN output to its default?
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by ceddm »

Wonks wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:39 pm I don’t think you’ve said whether you’ve configured the MIDI output to go to the DIN port as previously mentioned. If you don’t it won’t work.

From the manual in the "MIDI Out" section: "By default (when you switch the unit on), all controller data is sent out via the MIDI output as
well as the USB out."

I have also done numerous factory resets on each of these to ensure it is operating with this default.

By all means order an MKII yourself and prove me wrong that their DIN ports work. I'd love to get another person to corroborate (or disprove!) what I've found. I've tried everything I can conceive of to get anything out of these DIN ports.
ceddm
New here

Post by Wonks »

OK James, I see what you mean now.

Did your external 9v 500mA PSU have a centre-positive connector? If you got the appropriate Alesis one then fine, but a lot of generic 9v PSUs are centre negative and it's an easy mistake to make.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ceddm »

Wonks wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:22 pm Did your external 9v 500mA PSU have a centre-positive connector?

Yep, center-positive. And as far as I'm aware Alesis does not sell any official power supply of this kind. They demand you buy 3rd party if you wish to use the functionality that requires it (such as using the DIN port to message an external synth/module).
ceddm
New here

Post by Mitchell1234 »

Hi I just bought a new Q88 MK II and I am having same problem. I am going into an older QSR rack module and it won't work out of the midi out, but if I run out of the usb out through my Kenton midi USB host interface into the midi in on QSR, it works perfectly. I have tried my other keyboards with the midi out from them and no problem, changed cables etc. Have you had any luck figuring this out, or is this midi out on the Alesis not working?
Mitchell1234

Post by resistorman »

Mitchell1234 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:39 pm Hi I just bought a new Q88 MK II and I am having same problem. I am going into an older QSR rack module and it won't work out of the midi out, but if I run out of the usb out through my Kenton midi USB host interface into the midi in on QSR, it works perfectly. I have tried my other keyboards with the midi out from them and no problem, changed cables etc. Have you had any luck figuring this out, or is this midi out on the Alesis not working?

Is it possible MIDI thru is enabled?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Mitchell1234 »

Do you mean midi thru enabled on my rack synth? I don't think so, if I use another synth or piano with midi out, the rack synth receives controller info perfectly.
Mitchell1234

Post by sonics »

I just read this entire thread and didn't see any mention of MIDI wiring. There could be an issue there. Not all MIDI cables (or devices) are wired the same (or correctly)! I've seen pins 1/3 linked to 4/5 and then 1/3 grounded on a device = no MIDI.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada