One Synth Challenge #7- 2022 Edition

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: One Synth Challenge #7- 2022 Edition

Post by Aled Hughes »

Wonks wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:07 pm
blinddrew wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:33 pm Vexingly it would appear that the VCA on my synth is faulty and, in this case, renders the whole thing unusable for this task.

As I'm not doing it now, you could have a go at 4'33" yourself.

I was going to, but unfortunately I found the power supply.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Rich Hanson »

What I thought I might do once all submissions have been received is to publish the music along with two lists - one of the contributors and the other of the synths used. I thought this might give people a fighting of chance of getting at least a couple right :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3291 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Post by Folderol »

Hmm, I think we'd (secretly) enjoy a few days of total puzzlement :?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Rich Hanson wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 pm What I thought I might do once all submissions have been received is to publish the music along with two lists - one of the contributors and the other of the synths used. I thought this might give people a fighting of chance of getting at least a couple right :D

I like that idea. Even knowing most of the folks who contribute to the One Synth Challenges it can be very difficult to make guesses in the absence of a candidate list, fun though it is anyway ;)
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by resistorman »

Rich Hanson wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 pm What I thought I might do once all submissions have been received is to publish the music along with two lists - one of the contributors and the other of the synths used. I thought this might give people a fighting of chance of getting at least a couple right :D

I like this idea, since there are some 50 bazillion synths to choose from these days...
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by sonics »

resistorman wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:11 pm

I like this idea, since there are some 50 bazillion synths to choose from these days...

I don't like this idea myself. Guessing without a list is much more challenging. For example, if someone could create sounds typical of one synth by using another, I'd like that fact to be a secret until the "reveal".
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1582 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by BJG145 »

I can see the pros and cons. At the end of the day, it's Rich's thread, Rich's rules. For reference, last time, the tracks were posted up with no info, then full info was given two days later.

I'd be happy with the tracks+lists approach, but maybe the lists could be kept as a separate link so that people could listen with no preconceptions if they chose.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

...alternatively, it could be done to a schedule. Eg, link to tracks, link to lists next day, link to reveal after 7 days. That might avoid the "shall I shan't I" bit.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Welcome to the cat-herding club Rich :lol:

Jolly glad you're doing it though. I can think of a couple of ways to make everyone happy and I'm sure you can too but feel free to ping me if you need any help.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Folderol »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:17 pm Welcome to the cat-herding club Rich :lol:

Exactly what I was thinking!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by resistorman »

Folderol wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:56 pm
Eddy Deegan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:17 pm Welcome to the cat-herding club Rich :lol:

Exactly what I was thinking!

Uh huh!
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Rich Hanson »

What I am going to do:

Day 1: Post the tracks

Day 3: Post the list of synths

Day 5: Post the list of contributors

That gives a couple of days of blind guessing for those nutters that like that sort of thing.

There you go, pussy cats, now I'm off to nail some jelly to the ceiling :P
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3291 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK