How long can a Floyd Rose be missing a string?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

How long can a Floyd Rose be missing a string?

Post by garrettendi »

So I have a Floyd Rose guitar... No string breakage yet and I'm getting it setup in a week and a half. How long can it last if I break a string? I have no skills with altering the springs or anything, and it'd take a day or two for Amazon to send me some strings.

It currently uses 9 gauge, but I don't know which brand!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse... and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Re: How long can a Floyd Rose be missing a string?

Post by zenguitar »

Missing a string from a trem of any sort will do no harm. But it will be out of tune until the string is replaced.

When you get the guitar set-up make a point of keeping the packet for the strings. It will remind you exactly what strings are fitted so you can ensure replacements are the same.

Remember, although sets might appear to have the same gauges from different makers, differences in material, type of core and ratio between core and winding means that they might require slightly different set-ups.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12558 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by garrettendi »

zenguitar wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:42 pm Missing a string from a trem of any sort will do no harm. But it will be out of tune until the string is replaced.

When you get the guitar set-up make a point of keeping the packet for the strings. It will remind you exactly what strings are fitted so you can ensure replacements are the same.

Remember, although sets might appear to have the same gauges from different makers, differences in material, type of core and ratio between core and winding means that they might require slightly different set-ups.

Andy :beamup:

Thanks, that's exactly what I had in mind. I'm getting it set up for Ernie Ball Paradigm in 9 gauge and will be sticking with that. If the worst should happen and I get a string break in the next couple of weeks, I'll just go with a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkies to tide me over until the setup. Will take two days for those strings to reach my hand should the need arise, and there's no point in "playing it safe" when I'm due a freebie guitar service from the shop.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse... and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Post by Kwackman »

garrettendi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:44 pmIf the worst should happen and I get a string break in the next couple of weeks.

I honestly can't remember the last time I broke a string while playing a guitar.
Unless you're really rough on the guitar, I think you're over thinking this.
Just enjoy playing your new toy!

(If you do manage to break a string, I'll claim my SOS account was hacked and I didn't write this.....)
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Martin Walker »

Kwackman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:29 pm Just enjoy playing your new toy!

Whatever it is (official reveal at the next SOS Virtual Meet ;) )
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Kwackman »

Martin Walker wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:18 pm
Kwackman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:29 pm Just enjoy playing your new toy!

Whatever it is (official reveal at the next SOS Virtual Meet ;) )

You'll be providing the drum roll I hope.... :D
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Exalted Wombat »

You don’t have to wait until a string breaks to order some spares!
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5812 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by Wonks »

And you need to know how to change one. So best get some cheap ones and start learning. There really is no excuse these days for not knowing how to set up your own guitar. It's not rocket science. Even Zen can do it! :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by garrettendi »

Exalted Wombat wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:36 am You don’t have to wait until a string breaks to order some spares!

It's getting set up literally next week! Spare strings would be a waste of money unless needed!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Post by garrettendi »

Wonks wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:39 am And you need to know how to change one. So best get some cheap ones and start learning. There really is no excuse these days for not knowing how to set up your own guitar. It's not rocket science. Even Zen can do it! :D

I can't even drill a hole into the wall without cocking up! I do not trust my DIY skills on my guitars!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Post by garrettendi »

Just to clarify I fully intend to learn to change strings! It's just the shop I bought from has a free setup, and I want to change the brand of strings!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

garrettendi wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 amthe shop I bought from has a free setup,

Worth taking advantage of. :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24619 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by garrettendi »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:09 pm
garrettendi wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 amthe shop I bought from has a free setup,

Worth taking advantage of. :thumbup:

Exactly. There's a couple of minor issues... nothing that stops it from my being my new favourite guitar... but a setup gives a chance to make sure the trem is good with my chosen strings, it generally plays better, and those minor issues get knocked. And all for just the price of the strings.

A no brainer, and 100% the reason why I'm not buying backup strings!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Post by merlyn »

Yikes. I get twitchy if I don't have a spare set. It's the umbrella principle, isn't it? If you have a spare set strings won't break.

I broke an A string and took the A out my spare set. Now I have a five string spare set. So I needed a spare for the spare. I'll have to use up those five strings somehow, or they'll stay in my gig bag forever a spare spare (nearly) set. :D
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

merlyn wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:23 pm I broke an A string and took the A out my spare set. Now I have a five string spare set. So I needed a spare for the spare. I'll have to use up those five strings somehow, or they'll stay in my gig bag forever a spare spare (nearly) set. :D

::: looks at collection of part used string sets :::

::: backs quietly out of the thread :::
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by garrettendi »

I kept a part used set of strings in their paper sleeves in my case. Never needed them again for over 2 years, by which time they had rusted rather nicely.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Post by Guest »

Maybe I’m an outsider here but I have a draw with at least 25 sets of new strings, maybe quite a few more than that thinking about it.

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:57 pm Maybe I’m an outsider here but I have a draw with at least 25 sets of new strings, maybe quite a few more than that thinking about it.

I tend to use expensive strings so 25 sets would be nearly £375 of stuff sitting there.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by BigRedX »

That has just reminded me that I could do with a new set of strings (and a spare set) for my Eastwood Hooky 6-string bass. Two sets for that has come to £72...
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Wonks »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:57 pm Maybe I’m an outsider here but I have a draw with at least 25 sets of new strings, maybe quite a few more than that thinking about it.

I’ve got over 40.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.