Yamaha MT4X not recording on track 1

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Yamaha MT4X not recording on track 1

Post by forumuser653351 »

Hello again!
I've just bought a Yamaha MT4X 4 track cassette multitrack recorder. Track 1 isn't recording, I get a signal when armed to record but nothing on playback. I've tried the other tracks and they record fine (so unlikely to be user error). I'm going to go back to the person I bought it from but any ideas on the problem?
forumuser653351
Regular

Re: Yamaha MT4X not recording on track 1

Post by nathanscribe »

I had the same/a similar issue with a Tascam – recorded on all tracks but didn't play back on 2 of them, with another one a bit touch & go. Turned out to be cracked PCB traces in the playback circuit.

Have you checked that the 'non recording' track is actually not recording at all, or just not playing back what's recorded? Simplest test is to flip the tape over and see if your material plays back on its 'opposite' track.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and got no playback on the tape. just to make sure I put the tape back the right way and recorded again on track 1 and flipped the tape, then I got playback! So I filled the tape again and there was track 1 playing normal way round - but at a much lower level than I recored at and it sounded badly fuzzed and distorted (quite a cool sound really but not what should be happening!).
So track 1 does record and it's the playback that is intermittent and faulty. Does that narrow the issue down?
forumuser653351
Regular

Post by Kwackman »

Cheap and easy suggestion- clean the heads. (cotton bud & isopropyl alcohol or similar)
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by James Perrett »

The first thing to check is that the heads are scrupulously clean. It doesn't take much gunk on the head to stop it recording properly.

The other thing I'd do is to exercise all the controls and switches - chances are that there are years of accumulated residues on them which can be cleared by giving them a bit of exercise. The symptoms that you describe are typical of an oxidised switch connection. If you can get into the machine you could see if you could spray any switch cleaner into the controls. Everyone has their own favourite switch cleaner but I use Servisol Super 10.
James Perrett
Posts: 14366 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Thanks, so isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds for the heads and switch clearer for the switches - would that work on crackly pots as well?
forumuser653351
Regular

Post by Wonks »

The Servisiol will as it contains a lubricant.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Re: Yamaha MT4X not recoridng on track 1

Post by Dan LB »

forumuser653351 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:17 pm Thanks, so isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds for the heads and switch clearer for the switches - would that work on crackly pots as well?

DeoxIT Fader F5 for potentiometers and faders.

Switch cleaner clears away the necessary lubricant on pots as well as the dirt leaving them feeling scratchy.

F5 clears the dirt away but also deposits a film of lubricant behind leaving pots feeling smooth.

https://caig.com/fader-f-series/
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by Dan LB »

Wonks wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:37 pm The Servisiol will as it contains a lubricant.

Are we talking Super 10?

EDIT: just read the blurb. I never knew it contained a lubricant. I always felt it left pots feeling scratchy so I switched to DeoxIT F5

The last can of Super 10 I had was purchased in Maplin many years ago so it’s been a while…… ;)
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by OneWorld »

Dan LB wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:45 pm
Wonks wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:37 pm The Servisiol will as it contains a lubricant.

Are we talking Super 10?

EDIT: just read the blurb. I never knew it contained a lubricant. I always felt it left pots feeling scratchy so I switched to DeoxIT F5

The last can of Super 10 I had was purchased in Maplin many years ago so it’s been a while…… ;)

Could you suggest anything for cleaning buttons/pads, the sort of thing you get on hardware where it is the rubbery feeling buttons you press. Are they sealed? I have some equipment where some of the buttons seem to need more pressure to activate and/or need pressing a few times. Once way back when I used WD40 and I ended up doing quite a lot of damage, not realising WD40 can actually insulate contacts DUH :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Dan LB wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:45 pm

Are we talking Super 10?

My can of Super 10 is fairly old too but it certainly contains a lubricant and doesn't leave things feeling scratchy in my experience unless the pot is beyond redemption.

You need to be careful with Deoxit - the original stuff (D5) doesn't contain a lubricant so you need to use Cailube afterwards to relubricate the pot.
James Perrett
Posts: 14366 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by forumuser931182 »

Some of those rubbery switches are on top of very small switches soldered on the pcb - mechanical pressure switches. Other rubbery ones actually have a conductive coating on them which allows exposed tracks on the pcb to “make”. Can gently clean all but eventually the conductive coating wears out and you probably need to buy replacement parts ( if available ).
As to the tape machine just clean every switch and potentiometer and you can also try cleaning any pcb board interconnecting plugs/sockets.
forumuser931182
Regular
Posts: 143 Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 am Location: Australia

Post by nathanscribe »

forumuser653351 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:45 pm Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and got no playback on the tape. just to make sure I put the tape back the right way and recorded again on track 1 and flipped the tape, then I got playback! So I filled the tape again and there was track 1 playing normal way round - but at a much lower level than I recored at and it sounded badly fuzzed and distorted (quite a cool sound really but not what should be happening!).
So track 1 does record and it's the playback that is intermittent and faulty. Does that narrow the issue down?

Sounds like it.

One other way to test whether it's a recording or playback issue is to use a regular tape you know has good material on – any tape will do, as long as there's something on both sides. Put it in the 4-track, and fade up any problem channel in isolation. Doesn't matter whether it's forwards or backwards or a different speed at this point!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks, I'll have to hunt down a cassette to do this, not sure I've got any left! I've managed to get some of the mentioned cleaning products and hope to have time tonight to clean the heads.
forumuser653351
Regular

Yamaha MT4X ... working! :thumbup:
I cleaned the heads and then opened up the inside to use the contact cleaner but couldn't get to the back of the pots and faders as there were circuit boards in the way, so didn't do that.
I did a test recording and track 1 is now fully working, no distortion and normal volume.
I must say that the quality of the recording is pretty good :)
Thanks for all the advise and help, much appreciated :)
Can you tell I'm happy! :)
forumuser653351
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup: good news. So now you need s regular cleaning routine so it doesn't happen again!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39002 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Ah great. I was surprised there were issues. I've used an MT4x since about 1993 and it still works almost perfectly. Some of the transport buttons need a clean but other than that, it's a top class deck. Claimed HF response out to 18kHz with Maxell XLIIS.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2564 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by Tim Gillett »

forumuser653351 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:57 pm Yamaha MT4X ... working! :thumbup:
I cleaned the heads...

Great. When the head is worn, which it often is, the "edge" tracks, 1 and 4 are usually the first to get dirty and go muffled. It can take careful persistence to get the dirt out of the wear crevices. To avoid this problem, ideally a new or relapped head should be fitted.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia