Mic setup for a small club; just for looks

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Mic setup for a small club; just for looks

Post by fruitcake »

I’m setting up a medium sized bar band for a movie so this is just for looks. I know there’s all kinds of ways to skin a cat, asking for opinions on typical setups.
I’m planning on mics for the amps, singers obviously, but:
Are drums normally mic’ed?
It’s a basic kit. Kick, single mounted tom, floor tom, snare, hi hat, ride, 1 or 2 crash.
fruitcake
Regular
Posts: 321 Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 am Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Here are some Unfinished Sounds. 

Re: Mic setup for a small club; just for looks

Post by MOF »

For a small club you wouldn’t mic’ the drums nor the guitar amplifiers.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2259 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by fruitcake »

I guess the better question is; what size venue does one mic drums
fruitcake
Regular
Posts: 321 Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 am Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank

Post by shufflebeat »

Depends on the look/theme of the movie also. I think a single overhead ribbon on a kit says something different (jazzy 50's) than a double small diaphragm condensers (rock 70's) or multiple DPAs (pop-rock 00's).

No mics on an RnB kit 'cos they're miming to a jazzy 50's loop.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Wonks »

A medium-sized US club is probably a bit bigger than a medium-sized UK club, so there's a good possibility that you might want to mic the drums up for it to look realistic. But if you do that, you'll really want at least one sub for the PA.

Nothing too fancy, just kick, snare and a couple of overheads.

If it's not really that big a club, then often its a vocal-only PA, no guitar mics or drum mics.

If it is set in the past, then as mentioned, the era is important. Late 60's and 70s I'd say you're more likely to have a single SM58 hanging above the kit than two small diameter condenser mics. Affordable decent condenser mics didn't really start appearing until the 90s, and although you might have found condensers on drum overheads for a name band at bigger venues, at amateur or semi-pro level, then at the time, the kit stayed quite basic.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by James Perrett »

I'd say that the kick and snare drum are mic'd even for a fairly small gig. Slightly larger gigs will mic the toms and bigger gigs will mic the cymbals. If we are talking a top flight club then bands would be fully mic'd for just about any size gig.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Sam Spoons »

At those kind of venues I would nearly always mic the guitar amps with kick, snare and an overhead on the drums.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by fruitcake »

Thanks all for the input. I was leaning towards micing kick, snare and overheads but not being an expert in the live music milieu I wasn’t sure how common it was. I try to make it look right. Ironically on this one I’m only concerned with how it looks not how it sounds. :oops::beamup:
fruitcake
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

You haven't mentioned whether this is a contemporary or period film/video.

If it's period, just be aware that when watching any shots containing mics and other related kit, nerds like me - and Hugh - immediately look to establish if the technology is right for the period. :)

Often it's spot-on, but I've ruined the drama of some scenes for my wife by my comments that "Hmmm... those mics weren't available until about 10 years later..." :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by fruitcake »

Mike Stranks wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:45 am You haven't mentioned whether this is a contemporary or period film/video.

If it's period, just be aware that when watching any shots containing mics and other related kit, nerds like me - and Hugh - immediately look to establish if the technology is right for the period. :)

Often it's spot-on, but I've ruined the drama of some scenes for my wife by my comments that "Hmmm... those mics weren't available until about 10 years later..." :lol:

I love doing period pieces, but this one is contemporary. Whatever the time period though, not only does it need to be the right gear, it needs to be used properly. That’s usually the bigger challenge. That’s where the filmmakers throw out the phrase “willing suspension of disbelief”.
As for this one, I’ll do my best to make everything look proper so as to spare myself the opprobrium of Mike and Hugh!
fruitcake
Regular

Post by MOF »

A Kenny Everett docu-drama had digital gear on show in the 1970s.
Also can you ask the director not to dub on feedback the moment the singer gets near to or taps the microphone!!!!!!!
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2259 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom