Klark Teknik KT-2a making crackly noise after not being used for a few months?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Klark Teknik KT-2a making crackly noise after not being used for a few months?

Post by dickiefunk »

Hi,

I've got a Klark Teknik KT-2a compressor which I really like. However, it has started to make a lot of crackly noise after not being used over the past few months?

Here is an audio clip of the noise I mention :-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WRhF5g ... sp=sharing

I'm wondering if this noise is condensation on the tubes or something else?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2021 Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:00 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Klark Teknik KT-2a making crackly noise after not being used for a few months?

Post by Wonks »

I don't think you'll get any condensation forming in this weather, unless you keep it in the bathroom. And moisture doesn't affect valves like that.

It sounds to me like it could be a valve itself that's on the way out. But it could also be corrosion on the valve pins/valve base, or a loose ribbon cable (if there is one) or even a dirty pot.

But probably a valve. You've got 12AX7, 12BH7 and EL84 valves in there. (I think the EL84 is probably used to replace the 6AQ5A valve that was in the original). Any of them could have lost vacuum. Sometimes it happens. You could look for signs of overheating (the valve lettering is normally red and goes white if it gets too hot) or a white residue inside the valve itself (lost vacuum). But leave the unit disconnected for a full day before opening it up as it's got big capacitors (a couple of 40 uF caps in the power supply circuit if its like the original) and I think runs at around 350v DC internally.

Unfortunately with 3 different valve types and 3 valves you can't swap them around to see if things improve. You could try removing and reseating each valve in turn.

I'd also exercise all the pots and switches for a few turns/operations each, which should clear any light dirt away.

Web reports seem to indicate that these things run quite hot, so is it in a well ventilated space in your rack, ideally with nothing directly above and below to allow for ventilation? Running too hot will reduce valve life.

Unfortunately valves are rather scarce at the moment and have shot up in price as a result, so it won't be a particularly cheap job to get a replacement valve of each type to try out. At least EL84s are some of the least expensive power valves around.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Re: Klark Teknik KT-2a making crackly noise after not being used for a few months?

Post by Wonks »

What's the warranty on them? I've seen 10 years mentioned in some places but that could vary from country to country. If still under warranty, you may be able to get it checked out free of charge, but valves will be probably regarded as consumables with no minimum life expectancy (though an immediate failure should be dealt with).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by dickiefunk »

Thanks for the suggestion. I upgraded the valves in the KT-2a to Harma Retro tubes from Watford Valves. They are only around 18months old hand have had light use. I still have the original Bugera tubes so I’ll be able to swap the tubes out to see if that’s the problem.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Wonks »

That’s good. One at a time would be ideal but I don’t know what the internal construction is like and whether you can change a valve without risk of touching any of the circuitry. It’s often possible to on valve amps, but with more compact equipment, there isn’t always the space for protective barriers.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by resistorman »

First thing I always try with valves is cleaning the pins. Sometimes even just pulling then reseating will fix spurious noise. I use a pen dispenser of deoxit on the individual pins, or you can use a bit of spray on a lint-free cloth. You don't want an excess of liquid!
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by dickiefunk »

Hi guys. Sorry for the late reply. I tried swapping all the valves and am still getting the same noise issue!? Any more suggestions?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Sounds like reforming capacitors to me.

I'd certainly clean the valve pins and wiggle them all around a bit, just in case there's tarnishing on the pins or sockets. A bit of D5 (or similar) wouldn't go amiss.

With that done. I'd leave it powered up for 48 hours or more, keeping an eye on it just in case, and see if it's any better after that. If not... it's a warranty job.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by dickiefunk »

Thanks Hugh. I upgraded the valves as soon as I bought it so I was able to swap all the tubes for the original Bugera tubes which were practically brand new.
I will get some De-Oxit 5 and clean the tube sockets.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by dickiefunk »

There has been some development regarding this issue with the KT-2a.
I tried turning the Output Gain pot and when I touched it the noise shot up momentarily. When I finished, the noise had disappeared. I am now only getting this noise spiking when I turn the pot and then it disappears after I have finished turning (instead of being constant as before).

Could this issue be down to dirt in the output pot?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes it certainly could.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by dickiefunk »

That would be great if it is just that.

Here is a link to the noise of the KT-2a being turned up and down :-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fqy9EL ... sp=sharing

I've got some De-Oxit5 coming tomorrow so hopefully that will sort it out!
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)