The Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread #3

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread #3

Post by tea for two »

ken long wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:26 am
tea for two wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:41 am Berry announced their take on the 1970’s Mu-Tron Bi-Phase dual phaser.
Hmmmm could be something, who knows.

As long as Berry Uli are not stepping on any toes with this one, I might check it out.

The Berry Bi Phase came out last year. Re-branded as Dual Phase now (probably because of those toes) and 25 week pre-order.

The Elf wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:45 am
tea for two wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:41 am Berry announced their take on the 1970’s Mu-Tron Bi-Phase dual phaser.
Hmmmm could be something, who knows.

As long as Berry Uli are not stepping on any toes with this one, I might check it out.

It was first launched a year or more ago. I bought one, thought, meh... then sold it for more than double what I paid. The guy said it had become a collectable, since Behringer had dropped it instantly for 'legal reasons'...

It's an 'OK' device - no more, no less. Nothing special, and nothing that my Line 6 Helix couldn't better.

I'm soooo behind the times lol.

I will pass on it then.

Are Berry stepping on any toes with their Solina version.
If it does see light of day.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by DGL. »

Something new and a small update concerning already announced products on Behringer's FB,

Behringer FB wrote:Guess the synth.
We’re excited to see more chips coming in, which allows us to start production for our long pending products.
As always, the engineering teams are super busy developing new synths.
Can you figure out, which one this is?
Collaborate with our synth developers, share your ideas and get a chance to win free synthesizers by participating in our activities at our “Synthesizer and Drums Behringer Music Tribe" FB Group. We’d love to see you there!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Keysand ... usicTribe/
If you are a passionate and experienced mixed architecture hardware or embedded software engineer and would like to join the leading musical instrument team, please send your resume to joinus@musictribe.com
#WeHearYou #MusicTribe #synthesizer #synthesizers #drummachines

Can't fathom what the new synth is, though by looking at the teased PCB's it has a connector that looks like one you would use for an internal power supply, so obviously something a bit special, noting that there is no barrel jack for power on the main PCB so must be internal.

Would reckon that it is a keyboard instrument given what looks like a board that would be at the end of a keyboard (like for pitch/mod).
Appears to have 8 sliders and two 3? way switches on the main controls board and two sliders, two 3? way switches, a push switch and possibly a stereo pot (volume?) on the smaller PCB.

It also has what looks like a 16x2 LCD and controls for some sort of menu system, so might not be something that basic, sliders rather than pots lead me to it being more Roland/ARP if it's a fully fledged synth as they used sliders over pots on a lot of their designs whereas others used them sparingly on designs.

Anyone got any thoughts?, thinking about it, it could only be a partial tease with more controller boards that are not shown, going by a post on GS is a Juno 60/106 in the works?

DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by N i g e l »

The chip circuits on the left hand side with the 8 trim pots looks like its the same thing repeated 8 times - maybe an 8 voice poly. The LCD suggests lots of parameters to be edited, maybe somthing hybrid, like DCOs.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3708 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by The Elf »

Some are saying it's a Juno. Gawd, I hope not... :yawn:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20040 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

These Behringer "teasers" are so passé now, its like, just shut up until you’ve actually got something to sell, then publicise it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Shock news! Blinddrew and Arpangel in complete agreement!

:D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24624 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:44 pm Shock news! Blinddrew and Arpangel in complete agreement!

I’ve already had a drink to celebrate.

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

Well .... Behringer arent the only ones to announce gear in advance. Im thinking of at least one big Japanese synth company who had a prescence at synthfest, a load of uTube reviews & demos but no gear 'till new year.

I think that way is less pressured than the press embargo style with announcement at 17:00 followed by 17:01 release of independent uTube reviews & demos. Order now for delivery !

Behringer FB wrote:

We’re excited to see more chips coming in, which allows us to start production for our long pending products.

more chips is always good news
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:03 pm more chips is always good news

I don’t think there was ever a shortage, I think, that some manufacturers just didn’t want to make stuff, for various reasons I won’t go into, I’m in bed, and need my sleep, strange how other industries making other things, never had any issues with supplies, using the same chips.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:17 pmI don’t think there was ever a shortage, I think, that some manufacturers just didn’t want to make stuff, for various reasons I won’t go into

This sounds more like one of your wacky theories rather than reliable information.

...strange how other industries making other things, never had any issues with supplies, using the same chips.

Evidence?
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:19 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:17 pmI don’t think there was ever a shortage, I think, that some manufacturers just didn’t want to make stuff, for various reasons I won’t go into

This sounds more like one of your wacky theories rather than reliable information.

...strange how other industries making other things, never had any issues with supplies, using the same chips.

Evidence?

Cars TV's washing machines radios hi-fi door bells cash registers blood pressure machines phones tablets computers hot tubs shed alarms, is it that synthesisers are particularly special? It’s just a straightforward case of keeping the company profile up and running with a load of vapour-ware.
Where’s my VCS3?

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

I've got to agree with teaser, pre-release announcement, and limited edition fatigue.

IMO if I can't go into a music store today and buy one to take home with me there and then, or order off a web site for next day delivery (or within a week for manufacturers with no UK presence) the, AFAIAC the product does not exist and I have no interest in it.

To this end I have been more than happy with the plug-in synths that came free with Logic, and so far I have been able to do everything want using one or more of them.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by FrankF »

Hmm, has anyone else noticed that there's a chip shortage but no shortage of chip fryers: is there something we're not being told?

Smells fishy to me...
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 451 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:20 am Cars....

Just taking one item that's been in the news recently: Jaguar has just announced a cut to production citing a shortage of electronic sub-systems.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63756079.amp

Modern cars use a lot of electronics — over 150 processors pet vehicle compared to one in a blood pressure monitor, door bell, or washing machine.

My daughter needs a replacement controller board for her oven. It's on back-order due to a shortage of parts.

Consumer availability also depends on the batch production sizes, frequency of demand, and warehousing volumes.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by FrankF »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
My daughter needs a replacement controller board for her oven. It's on back-order due to a shortage of parts.

Buy her a chip fryer to tide her over! They're so much unhealthier!
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 451 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Well that didn't last long!

Arpangel wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:20 am Cars TV's washing machines radios hi-fi door bells cash registers blood pressure machines phones tablets computers hot tubs shed alarms, is it that synthesisers are particularly special?

Virtually every market sector has struggled with chip shortages over the last couple of years, the impact varies hugely (cars were massively affected at one point) and so does the recovery (Behringer may be a big player in the audio industry but they're not compared to someone like Sony or Asus).

But fundamentally this is proximity bias - you're very close to this industry so more aware of the problems.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Wonks »

It's not necessarily an actual shortage of chips, they very often exist in their millions. The main problem is often that they are piled up in warehouses, still waiting to be shipped or distributed.

All the right chips, just not necessarily in the right place.

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Folderol »

Wonks wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:26 pm It's not necessarily an actual shortage of chips, they very often exist in their millions. The main problem is often that they are piled up in warehouses, still waiting to be shipped or distributed.

All the right chips, just not necessarily in the right place.

An absolute classic, and so is Eric's response when André ad-libs with "I'll go and get my baton... it's in Chicago"
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by N i g e l »

:clap: I had forgotten about the baton !

Asking the difficult question at Synthfest.

(the question in question being about chips/manufacturing wrt synth gear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLKT6wW2Kg

starts about 5:00

long story shortage - it depends on which chips your using !

bonus points if you spotted anyone you know
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

N i g e l wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:45 pm long story shortage - it depends on which chips your using !

Hence Focusrite re-engineering their range.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado