The Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread #3

For fans of synths, pianos, organs or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread #3

Post by tea for two »

Anal Lab4 probably changed the sound. I have this.
Anal Lab2 is prolly the original sound which can't get these days.
Although I have an old download from when I purchased Anal Player nearly decade earlier that could still have the original sound.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ar ... er-factory
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by IAA »

Interestingly, when I migrated my studio recently to Apple silicon I decided everything had to run native. So reviewing all my soft synths (what I have installed against what do I actually use) I decided just to use v collection. And although I’ve had it for years, I’m really thinking it’s first rate and I’d rather use these in a project than invest in small analog retro synths.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

IAA wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:33 am Interestingly, when I migrated my studio recently to Apple silicon I decided everything had to run native. So reviewing all my soft synths (what I have installed against what do I actually use) I decided just to use v collection. And although I’ve had it for years, I’m really thinking it’s first rate and I’d rather use these in a project than invest in small analog retro synths.

The only Arturia thing I use now is the JP8, the Rhodes and Wurly are just about usable, but not my first choice, Mellotron isn’t bad.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by t-sun »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8IGN4F3hdY

Introducing Behringer PRO-800, the worlds first analog 8-Voice poly synth that is affordable for everyone.

Delivering 8 fully analog voices with 2 VCO’s per voice, the PRO-800 faithfully delivers the amazing sound and experience of this historic synthesizer from 1982, all while introducing brand new features in a form factor that works within modern-day setups.

You need presets? We Hear You. PRO-800 delivers user memories for up to 400 sounds.

PRO-800 is also fitted with the iconic GliGli modification as standard, in addition to many of the new features that we have implemented including, the noise generator which was only ever found on the rare Japanese editions, full MIDI cc control, USB MIDI connectivity, dual polyphonic sequencer, dedicated LFO with 6 waveshapes, and VCA overdrive.

PRO800. True 8-Voice Analog Polyphony, now affordable for everyone.

Estimated Price USD $599, Shipping April 2023.

Video makes it pretty clear they're aiming at the Minilogue XD module.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

Something is only introduced if it's actually available, its a bit like introducing me at a party and then saying "but he won't be coming until April"
I'll keep my eyes open sometime in 2025.
All these announcements became tiresome a long time ago.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by t-sun »

They announced it almost two years ago, this is the first time they've put a release date on it.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

t-sun wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:43 am They announced it almost two years ago, this is the first time they've put a release date on it.

Sounds par for the course.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

But as Arpangel says, AFAIAC it doesn't exist until it is actually in the shops (or on their web site for guaranteed next day delivery).
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by sonics »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:19 am The only Arturia thing I use now is the JP8, the Rhodes and Wurly are just about usable, but not my first choice, Mellotron isn’t bad.

I don't recall reading why you don't continue to use the older versions if you prefer the sound of them. I run both on my computer; I've agreed before about hearing differences. When the installer changed size radically I knew something was up...

But like most software these days, V Collection is utterly fantastic and stupidly cheap. But give most people free access to a gourmet restaurant and they'll "cook" egg and chips! :)

(I've just been programming some really nice sounds on a $5 soft-synth.)
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1904 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Arpangel »

sonics wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:25 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:19 am The only Arturia thing I use now is the JP8, the Rhodes and Wurly are just about usable, but not my first choice, Mellotron isn’t bad.

I don't recall reading why you don't continue to use the older versions if you prefer the sound of them. I run both on my computer; I've agreed before about hearing differences. When the installer changed size radically I knew something was up...

But like most software these days, V Collection is utterly fantastic and stupidly cheap. But give most people free access to a gourmet restaurant and they'll "cook" egg and chips! :)

(I've just been programming some really nice sounds on a $5 soft-synth.)

Top restaurants are like a lot of things, only there to show off how much money you've got, they've got nothing to do with "cooking" your tea.
A $5 soft synth, I can't argue there, I'm all for doing things as cheaply as possible.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Which is an interesting philosophy but doesn't actually answer Sonics' question about why you don't just stick with the older versions?
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:18 am Which is an interesting philosophy but doesn't actually answer Sonics' question about why you don't just stick with the older versions?

I can't run them on my current computers.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

They're doing another guess the synth on FB, with populated boards that scream Jupiter 8.
They might have trouble releasing stuff but it hasn't stopped their engineers Bing busy!
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2020 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by The Elf »

Jupiter-8 seems to be the concensus. Interesting, if true.

No need for any of those wearied by these events to respond here...;)
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by DGL. »

A sort of update on the CS-80 clone, firstly it's been renamed the VS-80 in tribute to the late Vangelis and they've asking if we'd like a mod matrix added.

Behringer FB wrote:We’d like to have your feedback.
Our engineering team is working feverishly on the VS80 (Inspired by the late Vangelis). As we’re finalizing the desig, we’re considering adding a very cool mod matrix instead of the outdated user interface.

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer the original design or rather a modern and powerful mod matrix?
Thanks for your feedback.

NEW

OLD

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

If I bought one of these, I’d be using it very conventionally, for those lovely big chordal textures, strings and brass, I’m not worried about any type of mod matrix, it would be wasted on me, I don’t need it, and I can’t be bothered with it, it’s not what this machine is about for me personally.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

In a bit of a Xmas shocker, I find myself agreeing with Tony! :lol:

I can't read exactly what options are available on the proposed mod matrix, but I'm not convinced it would really add usefully to what the Synth was intended to be and do. The only point of a VS80 is to sound like a CS80. If you want to be able to make different sounds as well, then that's already well served in the Hydrasynth Deluxe.

The VS80 will only succeed if it sounds – and, crucially, plays – like a CS80. It's probably already compromised to some extent by not having a weighted keyboard, but there are benefits as well as cons to that decision. Its the behaviour of the velocity sensitivity, the afterthouch, the ribbon controller, and the voice card variability that will make or break this hypothetical recreation. I think an expanded mod matrix is of limited interest or value to most likely customers. (

Although I've explored the extra options on Arturia's version, I found no use for them.

And I'm still very happy with my decision to giving up waiting for the DS/VS80 and get a Hydrasynth Deluxe instead. Genuinely impressive machine that matches the performance aspects and much of the sound, but does so much more too.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 am In a bit of a Xmas shocker, I find myself agreeing with Tony! :lol:

I've alerted the media! :lol:

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 am I can't read exactly what options are available on the proposed mod matrix, but I'm not convinced it would really add usefully to what the Synth was intended to be and do.

And I agree with you, too!

As I've said in their FB comments...

Two secrets:
1. Everyone thinks they can improve on a classic design.
2. They rarely can.

I say leave well alone. Those that don't know won't care, and likely make no use of a matrix, and those that do know will cry foul and throw their toys out of the pram.

But I doubt Behringer care much what I think.

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 am Although I've explored the extra options on Arturia's version, I found no use for them.

Again I agree. I see little value in them.

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 am And I'm still very happy with my decision to giving up waiting for the DS/VS80 and get a Hydrasynth Deluxe instead. Genuinely impressive machine that matches the performance aspects and much of the sound, but does so much more too.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the CS-80, having a poly AT keyboard matched up to some of the sounds I've used in emulators is quite inspiring. But then so are many of the Hydrasynth's own sounds.

I can genuinely see Hydrasynth becoming a sought-after 'vintage' of the future.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by DGL. »

Big Behringer synth shipping update, plus new in house synth engines for the brains model, including a DX7 model that can load DX7 patches (only mono though)

First video of the Toro, a Taurus 1 clone just without the pedals, $349
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDFyk_jKFLk
Looks to be ready to ship from the factory going by the pictures.

Plus new Mk.2 MS-1 with their BA662's, Solina, Pro 800 and Edge ready to ship from the Factory!

Here's some obligatory photos from their FB showing finished synths in their factory.

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

When the Solina was announced, demo-ed and declared 'ready to ship' I had my credit card in hand. Since then I've had that card replaced twice by my card issuers...

BTW, your photos aren't showing.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Drew Stephenson »

The Elf wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:27 pmBTW, your photos aren't showing.

Showing for me.

Unlike a shipping date for the BCR32...
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Pics showing for me, too.... and appear to be the same bench with sets of 8 different synth modules laid out in turn with some shipping boxes on a pallet. Not really convincing of full production, but I hope product becomes available soon.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Folderol »

Drew Stephenson wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:31 pm
The Elf wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:27 pmBTW, your photos aren't showing.

Showing for me.

It doesn't do to rush these things :headbang:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18569 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by muzines »

They'd probably get them done faster if they employ some actual people to test, pack and ship them... :headbang:
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by BillB »

muzines wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:03 pm They'd probably get them done faster if they employ some actual people to test, pack and ship them... :headbang:

Yeah, those robots are really shy, aren't they? Never in the pictures.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1958 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Wonks »

There is one person you can just see working in the background in a couple of pictures.

Definitely a lot of posing stuff for photos. Those particular benches in the foreground look to be a new, not quite finished installation. There is a extract Y-duct fitting missing the flexible ductwork down to the benches and there is a compute just lying on top of one of the shelves. Probably slowly extending the workstations across the factory floor.

I do find it a bit strange that the under-bench sockets appear to be UK sockets and not Chinese A, C or I sockets.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by DGL. »

Wonks wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:47 pm I do find it a bit strange that the under-bench sockets appear to be UK sockets and not Chinese A, C or I sockets.

I wouldn't trust chinesium sockets and I bet they don't too, also UK sockets are polarised so probably safer in a test environment.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Drew Stephenson wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:31 pmShowing for me.

I think we've been here before. I have to copy and paste each image link into a new tab to view it. It's probably one of my security/privacy blockers at work.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by The Elf »

Anyway...

I'll be curious to get a 'Toro' next to my real Taurus. I was never happy with the Taurus 3 (sold it), and the MiniTaur, cute thought it is, doesn't do a good enough impression for me. It doesn't 'purr' like the Mk1 Taurus.

Let us not speak of the abomination that was the Taurus 2...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by N i g e l »

Folderol wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Drew Stephenson wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:31 pm

It doesn't do to rush these things :headbang:

Its been well over 2 years since the announcement. PCBs were shown JLY'21, which is also when the BBG Wave went to the beta test phase.

Korg had a drumlogue showing at Synthfest but that didnt turn up in the shops till this year.

The Prologue is unavailable. Quite a short life for a flagship, or, instant classic, depending on your point if view.

These are still strange times it seems.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3895 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles