The Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread #3

For fans of synths, pianos, organs or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread #3

Post by Arpangel »

BJG145 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:50 am
Some time ago we introduced the ENIGMA concept synthesizer, inspired by the Buchla Easel. We have now built the first prototype and are about to fire it up and develop the firmware. Just to manage expectation, this will take time as it is a very complex synth with full c/c and patch memory. We hope that you’re as excited as we are.

Yeah yeah yeah.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

My feelings exactly. Very, very bored of all the vapourware.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by BJG145 »

Purlease don't start seeing eye-to-eye, that will throw everything out of whack. :-|

(I believe in you Uli. Make me a Beasel.)
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by DGL. »

Also been announced is the Spice (subharminiconesque) desktop synth, that Solina's are now shipping from Thomann and that they had stock, emphasis on had!

Also they're now assembling the first prototype of the UB-X, an OB-X clone in the full size 61 key case, should take a few months to have a working prototype helped by having the same software as the UB-Xa.

DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2020 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by DGL. »

And going by posts on GS it seems PRO-800's are starting to be shipped, a few people have had their order status updated to "preparing for packing" and there is one so far that has had their's updated to "shipped".
They're coming!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

BJG145 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:12 pm Purlease don't start seeing eye-to-eye, that will throw everything out of whack. :-|

(I believe in you Uli. Make me a Beasel.)

There’s no reason why Hugh shouldn’t see eye to eye about something that most of us think is true "even" if it did come from me.
I think that anyone would be non-plussed at the way Behringer are conducting themselves as a major player, it’s cringe making.
I love all this "it’s been packed" "it’s being shipped" do we also get to know when the guy sending it takes a crap, or a tea break?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

Arpangel wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 am I love all this "it’s been packed" "it’s being shipped" do we also get to know when the guy sending it takes a crap, or a tea break?

I am quite keen on stats, especially on the day of the delivery stats.
I forget who it is that does the on the day route stats - you are no 56, driver is at No 53 a mile away, eta 20 minutes [ignoring time for any ablutions/tea breaks]

so much better than parcelfarce " sometime between 8:00 & 18:00 unless its tomorrow"

other delivery farces are available....
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3895 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:32 pm
Arpangel wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 am I love all this "it’s been packed" "it’s being shipped" do we also get to know when the guy sending it takes a crap, or a tea break?

I am quite keen on stats, especially on the day of the delivery stats.
I forget who it is that does the on the day route stats - you are no 56, driver is at No 53 a mile away, eta 20 minutes [ignoring time for any ablutions/tea breaks]

so much better than parcelfarce " sometime between 8:00 & 18:00 unless its tomorrow"

other delivery farces are available....

We’ve had notifications like "left under a neighbours car"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:51 amWe’ve had notifications like "left under a neighbours car"

My favourite one of those was "Left in the blue bin" I don't have a blue bin. AFAIK Nottingham City Council have never used blue bins for anything. Certainly no-one in my street has one. I have a green bin and a brown bin. It wasn't in either, although the brown bin had just been emptied that morning...
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by MOF »

AFAIK Nottingham City Council have never used blue bins for anything. Certainly no-one in my street has one. I have a green bin and a brown bin.

Or the grey bin? For someone who’s a bit colour blind grey might look blue.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2284 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by BigRedX »

MOF wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:11 pm Or the grey bin? For someone who’s a bit colour blind grey might look blue.

The only grey bins we've had here were of the metal pre-wheely bin variety.

The only place I've seen blue bins is in Whitby.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Arpangel »

BigRedX wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:24 am although the brown bin had just been emptied that morning...

So that’s what happened to my Neve Melbourn.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

Someone on GS has received their PRO-800 and had decided to open it up to see what's inside. Seems to be well made with quality PCB's and even temperature isolation cutouts around the VCO's.

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... count=3558
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

DGL. wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:47 pm Someone on GS has received their PRO-800 and had decided to open it up to see what's inside. Seems to be well made with quality PCB's and even temperature isolation cutouts around the VCO's.

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... count=3558

This looks well made. I didn't know temp isolation cutouts were a thing, seems like a good idea!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2743 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Martin Walker »

resistorman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:36 pm This looks well made. I didn't know temp isolation cutouts were a thing, seems like a good idea!

Nor did I, but I agree with you - somehow I doubt that Behringer would have included them if it weren't necessary for better tuning stability though.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20734 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by DGL. »

Martin Walker wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:06 pm
resistorman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:36 pm This looks well made. I didn't know temp isolation cutouts were a thing, seems like a good idea!

Nor did I, but I agree with you - somehow I doubt that Behringer would have included them if it weren't necessary for better tuning stability though.

Quite, all that extra routing wouldn't have been done for nothing, they do have some very talented people on their books.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

Not all PCB cutouts are for temperature stability (in fact very few). The CoolAudio V3340 spec sheets states it has very low temperature drift; "Full temperature compensation makes this VCO extremely stable".

They are more likely to be there to reduce capacitance or leakage between adjacent oscillator circuits, as air is less conductive than the PCB material.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by t-sun »

Behringer Facebook wrote:The Kobol synthesizer is a true legendary synthesizer, designed by the long extinct company RSF. It's so addictive that you'll never want to put it down. It has amazing morphing features, but also full patch memory.
Get ready to rock out with the Kobol and unleash your inner musician!
The Kobol is now fully developed and scheduled for production. We’re super excited 🙂

t-sun
Regular

Post by Wonks »

So legendary that only 200 people bought them at the time (1978).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17233 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by resistorman »

Who needs another monosynth?! Sheesh...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

resistorman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:20 pm Who needs another monosynth?! Sheesh...

Huh? Wha...? Snuffle, cough... Someone mention my name? :lol::tongue:

But no, not that pitiful thing. :yawn::thumbdown:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20285 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by resistorman »

The Elf wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:42 pm
resistorman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:20 pm Who needs another monosynth?! Sheesh...

Huh? Wha...? Snuffle, cough... Someone mention my name? :lol::tongue:

But no, not that pitiful thing. :yawn::thumbdown:

:lol: Well, I know some people love them, bless their hearts :)

The polysynth actually sounds quite nice! Though it seems it was a Polymoog sized disaster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnYjDAzn0H8
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by t-sun »

Not like it's going to cost them much to produce, they're using the same form factor as the existing paraphonic synths. I thought this was going to be another module in their euro-sized line though, and it doesn't appear to have the patch points of the original.

I wonder if JMJ has beta tested this one too.
t-sun
Regular

Post by DGL. »

Pro-800 has a new software update that fixes a few things and now has the option of "snappier" envelopes, good to see that they are listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sox6DLFPfjk

and their supposedly getting ready for another product release, whatever that may be.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

I've been thinking lately that Behringer's new synths are filling the price niche that once existed in the used equipment market. Musicians starting out could snag excellent deals on old gear. Nevermore, I fear.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

resistorman wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:32 pm I've been thinking lately that Behringer's new synths are filling the price niche that once existed in the used equipment market. Musicians starting out could snag excellent deals on old gear. Nevermore, I fear.

Prices for older gear now are crazy, and I don’t know how this flood of Behringer clones has affected that.
I’d just like to know who’s buying these 2600’s, Jupiter’s, EMS's, upwards of twenty grand, old Eventides and AMS around five grand, even if money was no object for me I still wouldn’t buy them, I have in the past and they always turn out to be a nightmare with outrageous repair bills by so called "experts" that sometimes don’t even fix the problem.
I took an ARP to a well known synth repair place, and when I asked for an estimate they said "anything can be repaired, for a price" what an attitude, I took it back managed to get it repaired and sold it promptly.
I had a Prophet 5 for six months, it was in the workshop more than out, the guy said he’d repaired it three times, and the fault was still there every time I got it back.
Behringer clones are great AFAIC, I’ll leave the originals to rich pop stars and such like.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

Some more teases,

One is that the 2-XM two voice clone is now ready for production,

Second is a render of a potential new polysynth module like the Pro-800 but basically a polyphonic Moog Source, 8 voices and the same price as the Pro-800,

And lastly as part of their mini synth series a prototype of a DX7 clone but with a master filter based on the one in the CS-80, plus a built in sequencer and drum machine. Supposedly it was designed by one of the engineers in their spare time.
Oh and it has a built in b-ray, the D-Beam returns!

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

The reason I sent my Wasp back was that it sounded like a typical mono-synth, let me explain, they "all" sound like typical mono-synths, most people wouldn’t be able to tell one from another, and they don’t hold any attraction for me, no matter what the cute packaging is.
This is a case of too much, too late, let’s get this into perspective, it’s not 1975 anymore, we’re not hearing the world with the same ears.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by FrankF »

That BX700 looks interesting. Not sure about the DX7 button colours, but hey.
Plus a built-in drumbox - intriguing!
And a ribbon controller!
Dominus dixit: "And every keyboard shall have a ribbon controller, even down to the meekest and mildest of God's synthy creatures."

I do find these teasers a tad vexing, however: just announce the blessed product, and release it shortly after already! Let's have none of these "anticipation" shenanigans. I mean, who do they think they are, Tim Curry?
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 458 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by Arpangel »

FrankF wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:33 am Let's have none of these "anticipation" shenanigans. I mean, who do they think they are, Tim Curry?

More like Rishi Sunak.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster