Roland Fantom 7 Gig Bag or hard shell?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Roland Fantom 7 Gig Bag or hard shell?

Post by keelbolt »

Would welcome some shared experience here please...
What do folks with a Roland Fantom 7 use for transport? Gig bags seem stupidly expensive for the minimal protection they offer; hard-shell add quite a lot of weight to an already heavy keyboard. If you gig with a Fantom 7, what do you use to transport it?
keelbolt
Poster

Re: Roland Fantom 7 Gig Bag or hard shell?

Post by Guest »

Anything I took to a gig would be in a hard case of some form.

Post by The Elf »

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that soft bags are a better option than they first appear, since they soften blows to the gear. That said, I prefer soft cases with some rigidity, such as Gator cases, rather than those awful 'gig bags' that are little more than a dust cover with handles.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by MarkOne »

Another Gator fan here. Padded, but with a rigid metal frame, for me the best of both worlds.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2713 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Guido3 »

I use Gator TSA cases. Yes, they are around £200 each (dependant on size) but they offer great protection all round. I’ve used full flight in the past but as I do all my own loading/unloading, they are overkill. They also add alot of extra weight. Try carrying a fully flighted Roland Fantom G8 on your own!!

They way I look at it is……

I’ve just spent £2.5k on a new board. Do I now want to put it in a cheap case? No. An extra couple of hundred quid to protect it seems a no-brainier to me.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by MarkOne »

Guido3 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:36 am Try carrying a fully flighted Roland Fantom G8 on your own!!

No thanks… I had a G7 in a full flight case and that was heavy enough for me!
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2713 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I think it depends on who is going to be moving the keyboard, and where its going to be stored during transport.

If you're moving it in your own car, and other stuff isn't going to fall on it, then a decently padded and framed soft case should be fine. It's what I use.

But if it's being moved by roadies, or thrown in the back of a van with loads of flightcased gear all moving about, then a tough hard case would be much more sensible.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Guido3 »

MarkOne wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:20 pm
Guido3 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:36 am Try carrying a fully flighted Roland Fantom G8 on your own!!

No thanks… I had a G7 in a full flight case and that was heavy enough for me!

So true. For some reason I thought gigging with fully flighted Roland Fantom G8 and Roland Jupiter 80 was a good idea!!! I had arms like Popeye!!!
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!