replacement PSU for Hydrasynth ?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: replacement PSU for Hydrasynth ?

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I think you're both right. It would have been a cheap and easy win for ASM (and had I been ASM I'd have just got it sorted) but ultimately from the consumer's perspective responsibility does lie with the distributor, even if the distributor gets that back-filled by the manufacturer up the line.

Edit: I do have some experience of being a vendor and there are often subtle things about the supply line that consumers will never see or understand but, however it's delivered, customer support should always be good.

One thing ASM could take away from this if they chose to is that the quality of the PSU is as important as the quality of the synth.

Neither my original Hydrasynth or the Deluxe had anything like the same issue and it does sound as if there could have been a batch of PSUs that could have been better. As to whether that's ASM's fault or the distributor I can't say but it's a shame that either way it's the end user that has the problem.

Hopefully the distributor will be able to help.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8819 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by The Elf »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:50 pm I think you're both right. It would have been a cheap and easy win for ASM but ultimately from the consumer's perspective responsibility does lie with the distributor, even if the distributor gets that back-filled by the manufacturer up the line.

Which could all have happened 'magically' behind the scenes...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

The Elf wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:52 pm
Eddy Deegan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:50 pm I think you're both right. It would have been a cheap and easy win for ASM but ultimately from the consumer's perspective responsibility does lie with the distributor, even if the distributor gets that back-filled by the manufacturer up the line.

Which could all have happened 'magically' behind the scenes...

I agree, it could have and it's a shame it didn't. But the absence of spectacular service doesn't necessarily equate to bad service either. In this case, if the distributor sorts it out (as they should) then it's 'good' service, if not world-class.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8819 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by N i g e l »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:23 pm this request involves a UK specific PSU replacement.

The PSU is electrically world compatible, supplied with a variety of seamless pin adaptors eg UK, Europe.... other places.

Its late ! but I think the ultimate responsibility lies with the manufacturer.

Donahugh v Stevenson, "slug of gin-jah" precident - a slug at the bottom of the ginger beer.

The onus was on the manufacturer of the ginger beer not on the cafe owner who served it [distributor].

I will churn through the process & do battle but ultimately I think I will be reporting the product & specs of the £7 replacement from an independant vendor, possibly but not limited to CPC/Farineli.

Now that im out of warranty I also have thoughts about incorparting the psu inside the synth :shocked::think::think:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3688 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by resistorman »

Personally, I have a cubic meter of wall warts and line lumps of all types collected over the years. I would just reach into the box and grab a 12v 2A or higher supply and get on with it. I might even do so if it was still in warranty.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

N i g e l wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 amThe PSU is electrically world compatible, supplied with a variety of seamless pin adaptors eg UK, Europe.... other places.

The PSU supplied with your unit in the UK may have come with a full set of adapter plates, but are you sure every territory receives the same all-encompassing set?

I wouldn't be so certain based on my experience of receiving review kit directly from overseas distributors...

but I think the ultimate responsibility lies with the manufacturer.

Ultimately, yes, I'd agree... but I don't think it unreasonable at all to use the local distributor as the first point of customer support. It neatly avoids problems with languages, time zones, international shipping, customs and taxes, and is legitimately justifying some of the profit margin distributors take!

In the UK, the ASM distributor is Source Distribution and I've always found them to be extremely helpful and easy to deal with.

I note the psu rating for the deluxe model states it must supply more than 2A, which implies a 1A rating on the standard model might be a little tight.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38971 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

N i g e l wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 amNow that im out of warranty I also have thoughts about incorparting the psu inside the synth :shocked::think::think:

:thumbup::clap:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Martin Walker »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:53 am I note the psu rating for the deluxe model states it must supply more than 2A, which implies a 1A rating on the standard model might be a little tight.

I suspect we're all agreed on that, given that at least several hydrasynth keyboard owners have experienced the same weird bootup problems ;)

I've just unplugged my PSU (bought exactly one year ago) and it is labeled 12V 1.0A, so I suspect my Hydrasynth could be on the borderline juice-wise as well.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by N i g e l »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:53 am
N i g e l wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 amThe PSU is electrically world compatible, supplied with a variety of seamless pin adaptors eg UK, Europe.... other places.

The PSU supplied with your unit in the UK may have come with a full set of adapter plates, but are you sure every territory receives the same all-encompassing set?

Well I have no way of knowing for sure but my boxes have none of the usual variant markings that would indicate a specific region and the contents were globally compatible.

Martin Walker wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:45 pm
I've just unplugged my PSU (bought exactly one year ago) and it is labeled 12V 1.0A, so I suspect my Hydrasynth could be on the borderline juice-wise as well.

just to be clear, mine is an Ull power ICP12-120-1000D
which looks similar to this [ignore the USB stuff at the bottom, its got the barrel connector]....

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

...while mine, although looking very smilar, has the designation:

FJ-SW126120 1000DN and simply says 'MADE IN CHINA'.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by N i g e l »

Thats probably the new improved version :)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by t-sun »

Interestingly, the PSU for my Explorer has a slide-on plug adapter instead of a twist-on with a tab to push in to release, and is also rated for 2A.

Considering it has (as far as I know) the same board that the regular Hydrasynth and the Desktop version have, it would appear they're aware of it. Curious that the Deluxe (which I assume just has 2 boards in it) also has a 2A supply. Glad they're generously provisioning the new ones though.
t-sun
Regular