automating tap tempo

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

automating tap tempo

Post by cubadog »

I have several pedals that have manual tap tempo pedal jacks. My question is - is there a device that I can automate this - ideally to midi. (apologies to analog purists :-))

Any suggestions for devices would be welcome

thanks
cubadog
Poster
Posts: 14 Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: Norfolk England

Re: automating tap tempo

Post by Rob Kirkwood »

Disaster Area produce a number of boxes/pedals that might help - I use their micro.clock to send tempo out to a dual delay pedal & an RC5 looper.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/search?sear ... ter%20area

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular
Posts: 121 Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: Nottingham, UK

Post by BJG145 »

The idea of automating tap tempo doesn't make sense. You either tap to set tempo, or you use automation to program it.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Rob Kirkwood »

...or, as in my case, you use a single tap-tempo pedal (micro.clock) to update 2 (or more) pedals to the same tempo at the same time.

I've not explored its MIDI functions, but the jack outs on the micro.clock only send around 6 or 7 pulses and then stop. If the receiving pedals drift over time a single push on the micro.clock button resends the sync pulses. Alternatively you can set the actual tempo you want on the micro.clock display, and then push the button to send out the appropriate taps.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular
Posts: 121 Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: Nottingham, UK

Post by BJG145 »

:thumbup:

I just had a quick look for pedals with programmable tempo changes, but I think you might need a computer/tablet for that.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

https://www.disasterareadesigns.com/shop/p/micro-clock

The micro clock responds to CC 93 - tap tempo. It won't respond to MIDI clock signals and they say not to send it MIDI clock. So whatever program is providing the MIDI control needs to be able to send CC 93 messages.

If you aren't using a USB-USB lead, you can also use the USB input to connect to a USB to MIDI 5-pin DIN or MIDI TRS Jack cable. Disaster area can provide these, but a quick look shows places like Andertons in the UK don't have these as purchase options, so you may need to go direct, or enquire from your chosen store as to whether they can obtain them for you at the same time you purchase the unit.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17005 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by cubadog »

Thank you for your suggestions -Andertons normally trusty on such things have no stock so I went with a true tone time bandit.

As soon as I pressed the order button I realised that there is another issue - it’s not just tempo but synchronisation to the start - which automating the tap tempo won’t give me.

Still this should give me a level of synchronicity - but I fell down the rabbit hole of trying to bridge the divide of analog and digital externally! I will look forward to the happy accidents that will follow.
cubadog
Poster
Posts: 14 Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: Norfolk England