Performing outside - iPad overheating and screen viewing solutions

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Performing outside - iPad overheating and screen viewing solutions

Post by skipper01 »

I am playing outside again next week and it’s gonna be about 30degrees.
It’s a 3 hour gig.
I use an iPad for some lyrics/chords reference plus triggering some backing tracks and sending midi program change within an app for what I do.
I know from experience the iPad will shut itself down when it gets too hot.
My only solution idea in regard the heat issue is to get another freestanding fan to point and place right besides the iPad which I hope is enough to keep cool enough to be useable?
The other issue is being able to see the screen due to the glare. I don’t know if there any solutions on that front.
I was also gonna gonna get and bring a large beach style umbrellas but suspect this won’t help the glare that much….

Just wondered if anybody could advise?
skipper01
Regular
Posts: 289 Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 12:00 am Location: Bristol UK

Re: Performing outside - iPad overheating and screen viewing solutions

Post by The Elf »

When you're up against problems as you describe it's a good idea to re-think from the ground up, rather than trying to nail solutions onto what you already have.

For chords and lyrics I'd use a piece of paper. For the rest I'd allocate some keys on the bottom/top of the keyboard for sample triggers, and I'd have a button or two on my master keyboard allocated to the patch changes.

You may have good reasons why one or all of the above may not work in your particular situation, but at least it may start you thinking of other solutions.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20016 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by skipper01 »

Hi, thanks for this. It’s kinda tricky as I use the ipad for more than just reading the music and is a central point for the technical and artistic aspect of what I do.
Moreover, I don’t know what music I’m going to be playing given the audience age and tastes will vary and may get requests.
Not having the ipad will just move the problems around and create other issues that affect the ability to do the gig.
I’d rather look at all options in use with the ipad to retain the ipad first and then look at other options if I absolutely have too in this scenario/context of gig.
skipper01
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Put the iPad in a box shaped to provide a hood to remove glare, and strap a couple of freezer blocks on the back of it! :think::D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38956 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Ian Evans »

I had similar problems recently using an iPad to mix a band in bright sunlight on a hot day (30+ C).

Overheating wasn't helped by the white iPad being in a black rubberised cover. Once this was taken off I had no more trouble.

The app I was using to mix (Mixing Station) has a display setting called Solar Bright which has very high contrast. With this applied and the screen brightness turned right up I could read it OK. Can you do anything with display settings on your lyric/chords software?
Ian Evans
New here

Post by resistorman »

The fan might help, plus maybe some kind of shade on the music stand putting the iPad in a shallow "box"? My wife had the same issue recently, but she usually isn't seated in the direct sun in the middle of summer!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by skipper01 »

Thanks again for these further thoughts/suggestions.
Yes, it is kept in a black rubber protection cover which I’ll take off next time. It is on the music rest of a stage piano obviously facing me vertically in terms of position which makes things a little challenging re glare potential box solutions and even cooling solutions built in.
I’ll try the fan as close as I can get it and re the glare have a think about a box with the position it occupies.
skipper01
Regular

Post by resistorman »

Since my wife is often in remote sites on battery, I was looking for small low voltage squirrel cage fans:

https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-Brushless ... JC9NT&th=1
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by skipper01 »

Also, surely it can’t be great for the other kit itself to be used in these conditions and circumstances….?
I appreciate the active Pa speakers I use have got built in fans which may help a bit but the black stage piano and mixer the other day felt very hot obviously too.
I don’t know at what point these could be damaged as well?
skipper01
Regular

Post by resistorman »

skipper01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:10 pm Also, surely it can’t be great for the other kit itself to be used in these conditions and circumstances….?

Exactly, my wife plays Celtic harp, but it was a short wedding ceremony on top of a mountain, so she thought it would be OK. She's now writing shade (so to speak) into her contracts, the string trios she plays with already have it in. You might consider this, or buy a pop-up.

Back in the day in the tropics, I'd sometimes put reflective foil on exposed amps and consoles.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

I have a white gazebo in the shed which sometimes (not often) gets dropped into the car when good/bad weather threatens.

Otherwise - laptop cooling fans designed to sit under the laptop and run off USB could be run from a power bank. Some of them are very small.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Stratman57 »

I've used both SKUBB and DRÖNA storage boxes from IKEA as sunshades for tablets and laptops. There is a zip down the back which holds them in shape and which is very convenient for running cables in and out.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Post by skipper01 »

Thanks for all the replies.
Out of interest and slightly off topic - what happens at ie large or medium outdoor festivals that may be subject to extreme weather in terms of heat?
Do they always bring/use cooling for ie stage conditioning and amp racks, mixing areas etc?
Surely any electronic equipment operating for some time at around ie 30degrees isn’t sustainable if just left…?
skipper01
Regular

Post by MarkOne »

Keep direct sunlight off it with a shade of some kind and then something like this?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2734 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Actually I'd be surprised if any electrical equipment misbehaved below about 50. Instruments, yes, but electricals? Wouldn't have thought so.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24547 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Mike Stranks »

Obviously I'm not a performer, but I quickly learnt that for summer gigs - even in the UK - a gazebo was essential.

Way back, I sometimes placed radio-mic receivers onstage in full sunlight. (These were Audio-Technica) I had all sorts of problems, which research showed were directly temperature related. I subsequently devised ways to keep them shaded, and sometimes ventilated.

Black, active, speakers on sticks in full sunlight often caused the fans to run flat-out throughout the gig. They never shut down, but sometimes by the end the backplates/heatsinks were incredibly hot.

But as it was the UK, rain was always a far bigger problem than sun! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

Stratman57 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:29 pm I've used both SKUBB and DRÖNA storage boxes from IKEA as sunshades for tablets and laptops. There is a zip down the back which holds them in shape and which is very convenient for running cables in and out.

Regards, Simon.

Genius.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Wonks »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:58 pm Actually I'd be surprised if any electrical equipment misbehaved below about 50. Instruments, yes, but electricals? Wouldn't have thought so.

But in direct strong sunlight, anything plastic or metal will easily get over 50°C, so shade is important. Even after 10 minutes or so, it’s easy for the outside at least to get that hot, and with powered electronics inside putting out heat, it’s going to be even warmer inside.

Batteries in phones and tablets will also drain quicker when hot. They don’t like cold but they also don’t like it hot.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by The Elf »

On our record hottest day a couple of weeks ago, my iPhone was sitting on the (open top) car seat next to me (plugged into CarPlay - I don't use the phone itself while driving!), and it gave me an exclamatory error message saying that the phone was too hot and would not respond again until it had cooled.

I'm guessing that the iPad has similar protection, so you really don't want to end up in that situation!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20016 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by skipper01 »

The iPad overheated at the weekend at a wedding outside just as the bride was walking in and I was playing a piece! Luckily I knew the piece anyway.
I reckon it was about 25 degrees and the iPad had been on and left for about an hour.
It did have a black cover on it.
I tested today in similar weather without the cover and a large fan close to the iPad and it was ok for hours.
I really don’t feel good at all though about the piano and other kit for long periods in this heat and potentially worse heat…!
skipper01
Regular