Performing outside - iPad overheating and screen viewing solutions

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Performing outside - iPad overheating and screen viewing solutions

Post by skipper01 »

I am playing outside again next week and it’s gonna be about 30degrees.
It’s a 3 hour gig.
I use an iPad for some lyrics/chords reference plus triggering some backing tracks and sending midi program change within an app for what I do.
I know from experience the iPad will shut itself down when it gets too hot.
My only solution idea in regard the heat issue is to get another freestanding fan to point and place right besides the iPad which I hope is enough to keep cool enough to be useable?
The other issue is being able to see the screen due to the glare. I don’t know if there any solutions on that front.
I was also gonna gonna get and bring a large beach style umbrellas but suspect this won’t help the glare that much….

Just wondered if anybody could advise?
skipper01
Regular
Posts: 215 Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 12:00 am Location: Bristol UK

Re: Performing outside - iPad overheating and screen viewing solutions

Post by The Elf »

When you're up against problems as you describe it's a good idea to re-think from the ground up, rather than trying to nail solutions onto what you already have.

For chords and lyrics I'd use a piece of paper. For the rest I'd allocate some keys on the bottom/top of the keyboard for sample triggers, and I'd have a button or two on my master keyboard allocated to the patch changes.

You may have good reasons why one or all of the above may not work in your particular situation, but at least it may start you thinking of other solutions.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18718 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by skipper01 »

Hi, thanks for this. It’s kinda tricky as I use the ipad for more than just reading the music and is a central point for the technical and artistic aspect of what I do.
Moreover, I don’t know what music I’m going to be playing given the audience age and tastes will vary and may get requests.
Not having the ipad will just move the problems around and create other issues that affect the ability to do the gig.
I’d rather look at all options in use with the ipad to retain the ipad first and then look at other options if I absolutely have too in this scenario/context of gig.
skipper01
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Put the iPad in a box shaped to provide a hood to remove glare, and strap a couple of freezer blocks on the back of it! :think::D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 35057 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Ian Evans »

I had similar problems recently using an iPad to mix a band in bright sunlight on a hot day (30+ C).

Overheating wasn't helped by the white iPad being in a black rubberised cover. Once this was taken off I had no more trouble.

The app I was using to mix (Mixing Station) has a display setting called Solar Bright which has very high contrast. With this applied and the screen brightness turned right up I could read it OK. Can you do anything with display settings on your lyric/chords software?
Ian Evans
Poster

Post by resistorman »

The fan might help, plus maybe some kind of shade on the music stand putting the iPad in a shallow "box"? My wife had the same issue recently, but she usually isn't seated in the direct sun in the middle of summer!
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2128 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by skipper01 »

Thanks again for these further thoughts/suggestions.
Yes, it is kept in a black rubber protection cover which I’ll take off next time. It is on the music rest of a stage piano obviously facing me vertically in terms of position which makes things a little challenging re glare potential box solutions and even cooling solutions built in.
I’ll try the fan as close as I can get it and re the glare have a think about a box with the position it occupies.
skipper01
Regular

Post by resistorman »

Since my wife is often in remote sites on battery, I was looking for small low voltage squirrel cage fans:

https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-Brushless ... JC9NT&th=1
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by skipper01 »

Also, surely it can’t be great for the other kit itself to be used in these conditions and circumstances….?
I appreciate the active Pa speakers I use have got built in fans which may help a bit but the black stage piano and mixer the other day felt very hot obviously too.
I don’t know at what point these could be damaged as well?
skipper01
Regular

Post by resistorman »

skipper01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:10 pm Also, surely it can’t be great for the other kit itself to be used in these conditions and circumstances….?

Exactly, my wife plays Celtic harp, but it was a short wedding ceremony on top of a mountain, so she thought it would be OK. She's now writing shade (so to speak) into her contracts, the string trios she plays with already have it in. You might consider this, or buy a pop-up.

Back in the day in the tropics, I'd sometimes put reflective foil on exposed amps and consoles.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by shufflebeat »

I have a white gazebo in the shed which sometimes (not often) gets dropped into the car when good/bad weather threatens.

Otherwise - laptop cooling fans designed to sit under the laptop and run off USB could be run from a power bank. Some of them are very small.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8111 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
Hot tip:
I find keeping the good coffee in an old marmalade jar in the fridge makes it last much longer - the kids don't like marmalade.

Post by Stratman57 »

I've used both SKUBB and DRÖNA storage boxes from IKEA as sunshades for tablets and laptops. There is a zip down the back which holds them in shape and which is very convenient for running cables in and out.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57