Removing/editing vocals

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Removing/editing vocals

Post by Aaron Straley »

I have a vocal where the singer puts a "wa" on the end of the word "tomorrow". To me, this needs to be treated or removed in some manner

Having trouble getting this removed, or masked without making things sound unnatural. Its right on the end of the word. I cant find another spot where this word is used that I can replace it with.

How would you normally tackle this problem?
Aaron Straley
Poster
Posts: 98 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:25 pm Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Removing/editing vocals

Post by The Elf »

I'd fade the word off during the 'o'. A filter closing over the vowel might help too.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Presumably, this is an isolated vocal track, not something that's already been mixed.

I'm with the Elf; probably a micro fade is the answer. I once had to work on a song - live multitrack recording - where the singer mispronounced a word (every time!) in the chorus. Dealt with by a dip/drop in level which probably only lasted milliseconds. I've used the same technique to change a vocal 'She' to a 'He'...

If you have iZotope RX you could also try the Spectral Repair facility. This can produce excellent results.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Aaron Straley »

I faded in combo with a filter closing over the offending section. This worked well...Thanks! Just using the fader alone, I could not get it to sound natural.
Aaron Straley
Poster
Posts: 98 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:25 pm Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by The Elf »

:thumbup:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.