What’s up with Focusrite supply?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What’s up with Focusrite supply?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

When the US signs into law $280 billion to invest in technology, including 'chip factories', and the EU are doing something similar, it's obvious the situation is pretty serious!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62482141.amp

If China decided to stop making and selling electronic components to the West we'd be in very deep do-do very quickly!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 35057 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

Or a very likely scenario of China invading Taiwan and a subsequent Russia-style trade embargo (if not war).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13578 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by MarkOne »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:22 am When the US signs into law $280 billion to invest in technology, including 'chip factories', and the EU are doing something similar, it's obvious the situation is pretty serious!

If China decided to stop making and selling electronic components to the West we'd be in very deep do-do very quickly!

The issue is, that bleeding edge fabs are a) hugely expensive (I.e. $10B upwards,) and b) take a significant time to be up and running (I.e. years), so while I applaud the initiative, it’s not an overnight fix.

I do think however that with the levels of automation in modern high tech manufacturing, and the closing wage gap with the Far East the only real impediment to far more local manufacturing, is really real estate and construction costs. When you have a dozen skilled engineers looking after a thousand automated lines in a building the size of 10 football fields, it really doesn’t matter if it’s in Shenzhen, Skegness, San Diego, or St Tropez.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2011 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Post by MarkOne »

MarkOne wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:10 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:22 am When the US signs into law $280 billion to invest in technology, including 'chip factories', and the EU are doing something similar, it's obvious the situation is pretty serious!

The issue is, that bleeding edge fabs are a) hugely expensive (I.e. $10B upwards,) and b) take a significant time to be up and running (I.e. years), so while I applaud the initiative, it’s not an overnight fix.

I do think however that with the levels of automation in modern high tech manufacturing, and the closing wage gap with the Far East the only real impediment to far more local manufacturing, is really real estate and construction costs. When you have a dozen skilled engineers looking after a thousand automated lines in a building the size of 10 football fields*, it really doesn’t matter if it’s in Shenzhen, Skegness, San Diego, or St Tropez.

*I’ve visited a Factory of a very large consumer electronics company and it was exactly like that.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2011 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way

Post by MOF »

MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1994 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Sam Inglis »

I suspect that finding even a dozen skilled engineers in Skegness might be a challenge.
Sam Inglis

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:bouncy: Harsh!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 35057 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Nazard »

Maybe not too difficult.......

https://adamsengineeringltd.co.uk/
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by MOF »

If you build it they will come, or words to that effect.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1994 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by MarkOne »

Sam Inglis wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:52 pm I suspect that finding even a dozen skilled engineers in Skegness might be a challenge.

And obviously all the ones in St Trooez will be at the beach.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by blinddrew »

MarkOne wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:00 pm
Sam Inglis wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:52 pm I suspect that finding even a dozen skilled engineers in Skegness might be a challenge.

And obviously all the ones in St Trooez will be at the beach.

The beach at Skegness is actually very nice.

(Certainly nicer than the town! ;) )
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 20269 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...