RIP Billy Woodman, founder of ATC Loudspeakers

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

RIP Billy Woodman, founder of ATC Loudspeakers

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I was greatly saddened to receive this press release this afternoon.

OBITUARY — BILLY WOODMAN (1946-2022)

ASTON DOWN, GLOUCESTERSHIRE, UK — AUGUST 10, 2022: British loudspeaker drive unit and complete sound reproduction system manufacturer ATC Loudspeaker Technology is intensely saddened to announce the death of owner and founder Billy Woodman.

Billy Woodman passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family, on July 21, 2022, aged 76. His principals, philosophies, and absolute commitment to engineering excellence spanned almost five decades, creating the bedrock upon which ATC is built.

Under his leadership and guiding hand, ATC has continued to grow and succeed as a family business with Will Woodman, his son, as Managing Director supported by fellow Director and lifelong friend Bob Polley.

Billy was an extraordinary man — not only gifted as an engineer, but also as a jazz pianist and restorer of vintage cars. As a true gentleman, Billy led his life with courage, kindness, and generosity, and he leaves a remarkable and inspirational legacy.

His loss is profoundly felt by his family, friends, and the entire ATC family that he created. 
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39666 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: RIP Billy Woodman, founder of ATC Loudspeakers

Post by Arpangel »

Very sad news, but the sound, lives on.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I don't know how many press releases can be described as fully truthful but I have no doubt that that one is.

Sad news indeed. A great legacy. RIP
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 9039 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Martin Walker »

Very sad indeed, but my little ATC SCM10 Pro loudspeaker are still living on over 20 years since I first bought them.

Thanks Billy! :clap:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20734 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK