Hydrasynth tips

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Hydrasynth tips

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Okay all you experienced Hydrasynth programmers... I have questions...

The mod wheel, by default, introduces vibrato into all three oscillators from an independent 6th LFO.

1. Is there any way of controlling that vibrato via the mod matrix? I can't find one.

I can obviously set up my own vibrato using one of the five LFOs as the source, and can control it's depth and speed via aftertouch or whatever else I choose... but it's not the same vibrato as controlled by the mod wheel.

I can disable the mod wheel's default vibrato via the Voice page, and can re-assign the mod wheel to control the LFO depth... but this seems a little clumsy.

Am I missing something?

2. Why doesn't the Glide button provide direct access to the Voice module's glide parameters (as well as turn the function on/off)? That seems out of keeping with the other direct access buttons paradigm.

3. Am I the only one confused by the modmtrx 1 Depth1 affecting the parameters under the label 2? :lol: (Don't answer that one -- I can see why that works!)
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38836 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Hydrasynth tips

Post by The Elf »

Tch! Five LFOs freely available to him, and the guy wants access to the sixth! :lol:

Nope, I don't see a way to access it.

I don't even understand your question 3! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19939 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The Elf wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:52 pm Tch! Five LFOs freely available to him, and the guy wants access to the sixth! :lol:

Well, yes... it seems very odd that ASM have left it off the mod matrix lists!

Nope, I don't see a way to access it.

Okay... reassuring I haven't missed anything, though.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by BigRedX »

If I was creating a patch with always on vibrato and then adding more using the mod wheel I'd want to assign the same LFO to both by default, so all the mod wheel is doing is increasing the vibrato depth from a point that isn't "0". Is that what you are after?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

BigRedX wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:42 am If I was creating a patch with always on vibrato and then adding more using the mod wheel I'd want to assign the same LFO to both by default, so all the mod wheel is doing is increasing the vibrato depth from a point that isn't "0". Is that what you are after?

Basically, yes... but it seems you can only do that if you build the vibrato from scratch using one of the five available LFOs. Perfectly do-able, of course...

However, the default internal structure has a 'hidden' 6th LFO purely dedicated to vibrato with the depth controlled permanently by the mod wheel. But none of that vibrato LFO's parameters -- speed, depth, wave shape, etc -- are accessible via the mod matrix, so nothing else can affect it.

And in such an otherwise exceptionally versatile machine, that seems unexpectedly and unnecessarily restrictive.

Obviously, in some patches it means you don't need to 'waste' one of the five main LFOs for vibrato. But in others you'll end up not using the 6th vibrato LFO at all because it's not sufficiently controllable.

As I like to introduce vibrato (and control its speed) with poly aftertouch, most of my patches will fall into the second category! ...and it irks me that there's an LFO in there that I can't use!
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I know I'm late to the party, and I've only had this thing for a couple of days... but F-me this is a very seriously impressive keyboard for not a lot of money!

I've barely scratched the surface and I'm discovering new functionality every time I switch it on -- and dissecting some of the better presets is very educational for ways of configuring things.

I've joined the Hydrasynth evangelists... :angel:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by MOF »

I've joined the Hydrasynth evangelists... :angel:

I give it one month before you’re heavily into Modular synthesizers, it’s the thin end of the wedge. ;):lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by BJG145 »

As a disinterestred observer, modular synths consume too much cash. (Although I keep looking at the Wavefonix in the current issue.)

The Hydrasynth sounds like good value for money. Who wouldn't want a CS80, but the latest one on eBay comes in at £55K.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234655829760 ... Sw~PFi9NWp

...still, if Behringer make a decent job of it I'm not convinced Mr R won't be tempted to add one of those to his collection as well... :D
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

BJG145 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:26 pmThe Hydrasynth sounds like good value for money.

It really is, and the deluxe is extraordinary value with double the voice count for layering and splits, plus two extra octaves of keyboard.

Who wouldn't want a CS80, but the latest one on eBay comes in at £55K.

Silly money and a maintenance liability. It is a lovely instrument in so many ways, but I wouldn't go back there, personally. Not when there are easier and cheaper ways of achieving the same sounds and performance attributes.

...still, if Behringer make a decent job of it I'm not convinced Mr R won't be tempted to add one of those to his collection as well... :D

Never say never... everything depends on just how accurately Behringer capture the nuances, and how nice the keybed feels.

But a CS-80-alike will only make CS-80 noises. The Hydrasynth can do so much more, as well!

It's true that there are couple of functions currently missing from the Hydrasynth that stop it serving as a perfect CS-80 replica, but I see no technical reason those couldn't be added if ASM wanted to. One missing feature is the glissando mode for portamento -- I don't know why so few synths implemented that?

Another is the CS-80's output ring-mod function, but I've replicated that with an external moogerfooger controlled using CVs from the Hydrasynth's internal envelopes etc.

But it's certainly possible to create remarkably good emulations of most classic CS-80 patches on the hydradynth, and the macro controls are effective for recreating all of the real-time performance controls. Although very light and a bit 'clacky', the poly-AT keyboard actually works surpriningly well too, which is an essential factor.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:37 pm1. Is there any way of controlling that vibrato via the mod matrix? I can't find one.

It seemed very odd that ASM would have omitted such a key facility... and, of course, they haven't!

I found it today as a mod matrix destination.

Scroll through the list, past LFOs, mod matrix, and macro to the Voice option.

You can then select vibrato amount and vibrato rate as controllable parameters. Easy peasy!

Glide time is also there, along with detune, Pitchbend, analogue variation parameters.

I'm a very happy bunny. :-D
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Guest »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:14 pm
BJG145 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:26 pmThe Hydrasynth sounds like good value for money.

It really is, and the deluxe is extraordinary value with double the voice count for layering and splits, plus two extra octaves of keyboard.

Who wouldn't want a CS80, but the latest one on eBay comes in at £55K.

Silly money and a maintenance liability. It is a lovely instrument in so many ways, but I wouldn't go back there, personally. Not when there are easier and cheaper ways of achieving the same sounds and performance attributes.

Never say never... everything depends on just how accurately Behringer capture the nuances, and how nice the keybed feels.

But a CS-80-alike will only make CS-80 noises. The Hydrasynth can do so much more, as well!

It's true that there are couple of functions currently missing from the Hydrasynth that stop it serving as a perfect CS-80 replica, but I see no technical reason those couldn't be added if ASM wanted to. One missing feature is the glissando mode for portamento -- I don't know why so few synths implemented that?

Another is the CS-80's output ring-mod function, but I've replicated that with an external moogerfooger controlled using CVs from the Hydrasynth's internal envelopes etc.

But it's certainly possible to create remarkably good emulations of most classic CS-80 patches on the hydradynth, and the macro controls are effective for recreating all of the real-time performance controls. Although very light and a bit 'clacky', the poly-AT keyboard actually works surpriningly well too, which is an essential factor.

It’s getting like one of those religious sects here now. You have only had it a couple of days!

My HS desktop is broken again now, this time dead display. still makes noise but a bit hard to control.

I’m going to be the single dissenting voice here, after my jehovas meeting today (they do nice cake) I know what the only way us.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Hmmm... I hope reliability has improved....
Hugh Robjohns