Hydrasynth tips

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Hydrasynth tips

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Folderol wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:07 am I've had a casual look at some vids. Interesting beeps and burps, but not a single piece of real music being played - does the synth no favours.

I agree... why no Mozart or Beethoven sonatas? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38836 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by MOF »

I watched “Sisters with transistors” last night, a Sky Arts documentary about women in electronic music.
It was, mostly, a melody free zone, except for the Doctor Who theme and Switched on Bach, both written by men. It did no favours to women composers in the electronic music field.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by resistorman »

IAA wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:14 pm
but not a single piece of real music being played - does the synth no favours.

Check out Resistorman’s submission in the OSC last time I think. A great demo of its capabilities IIRC. I thought it was a prophet at first! (And I’ve got a prophet :headbang: )

Thanks! It was for the last OSC. I programmed most of the sounds from scratch and heavily modified a couple of presets. I used no external EQ or effects, printing the patches "as is" and just level balanced/ panned the results. Played by LinnStrument with drums from Drum Computer iPad app, though I could have used the Hydra for them in retrospect. I feel I am just scratching the surface...

https://soundcloud.com/dan-simpson-4976 ... ntain-pass
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Folderol »

Didn't remember this one :o must be getting ol^H^H middle-aged.
Much better than everything else I've heard on it so far :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18066 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by MarkOne »

MOF wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:52 pm I watched “Sisters with transistors” last night, a Sky Arts documentary about women in electronic music.
It was, mostly, a melody free zone, except for the Doctor Who theme and Switched on Bach, both written by men. It did no favours to women composers in the electronic music field.

I often think that some of these programs come across as producer tells junior researchers to come up with examples of say “women in the field of electronic music” and said researchers do an hours googling and pull together some random links. Meanwhile you have folks like Neon Vines and Rachel K Collier doing a lot of interesting things. (It’s not my cup of tea by any means but it is musical, clever and electronic)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Martin Walker »

resistorman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:07 pm
IAA wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:14 pm Check out Resistorman’s submission in the OSC last time I think. A great demo of its capabilities IIRC. I thought it was a prophet at first! (And I’ve got a prophet :headbang: )

Thanks! It was for the last OSC. I programmed most of the sounds from scratch and heavily modified a couple of presets.

https://soundcloud.com/dan-simpson-4976 ... ntain-pass

Bravo Dan! :clap:8-)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by resistorman »

Thanks y'all! Wonder if I can make something different enough using the Hydra to fool everyone for this OSC :think::lol:
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Arpangel »

MOF wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:52 pm I watched “Sisters with transistors” last night, a Sky Arts documentary about women in electronic music.

Éliane Radigue
Jade Rose
Delia Derbyshire

I’m having trouble, there are loads, but not like these, is this because generally women aren’t interested, or is it because there a less opportunities, I don’t think so, I think, it’s because electronic music, does demand a certain level of practical "technical interest" and the way women and men approach this is different IMO.
Women want to drive the car, get from A to B they don’t want or need to look under the bonnet, men are different, we have this desire to tinker, it’s not just the end result that matters.
This is by no means general, and exceptions abound, in varying degrees, I knew a girl, a few years back, who got into modular synthesis in a big way, every time I met her she would ask me loads of questions, can you show me this, what modules do you think are best for this, or that, how do I put this in a case, loads of stuff, but as soon as she knew what she wanted, she never talked about it again, this is important, this was all a means to an end, not an end in itself.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:29 pm
Folderol wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:07 am I've had a casual look at some vids. Interesting beeps and burps, but not a single piece of real music being played - does the synth no favours.

I agree... why no Mozart or Beethoven sonatas? :lol:

You need a Moog for those.

:D

This continuing Hydrasynth thing, some synths just fascinate, some enough to make me want to try them, some, enough to make me want to buy them,
this fascination isn’t definable sometimes, it can be a mixture of lots of things, not just sound, I look at the HS, and it looks unfriendly, and it ends there, I see trouble, lots of it.
Also, presets "are" important, they can be deal breakers, you should at least see a bit of potential, also, a synth that is marketed as being very versatile, and is good at many things, often isn’t, it’s appeal is that it can do many things sort of "OK"
I’d rather have one keyboard, that is excellent at just one thing, this can lead to a crowded studio, but it’s worth it for me, it’s difficult finding a one box solution, I’ve tried.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Luke W »

Arpangel wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am is this because generally women aren’t interested, or is it because there a less opportunities, I don’t think so, I think, it’s because electronic music, does demand a certain level of practical "technical interest" and the way women and men approach this is different IMO.

But, if true, why is that so? I personally think the answer is based more in society than any sort of fundamental difference between people. Some of the most keen and eager technical minds I've worked with whilst working in education have been young women, who had almost always been met with "Why do you want to do that? That's what boys do..." comments and attitudes at some point in their lives, even in today's times.

Slightly off-topic, and I know you said yourself that it wasn't intended as a general statement, but I do think that if we carry on the way we're going then it'll (hopefully) end up as a thing of the past, and the only things that will be of relevance for people entering the technical industries will be how interested and skilled they are.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Luke W wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 am
Arpangel wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am is this because generally women aren’t interested, or is it because there a less opportunities, I don’t think so, I think, it’s because electronic music, does demand a certain level of practical "technical interest" and the way women and men approach this is different IMO.

But, if true, why is that so? I personally think the answer is based more in society than any sort of fundamental difference between people. Some of the most keen and eager technical minds I've worked with whilst working in education have been young women, who had almost always been met with "Why do you want to do that? That's what boys do..." comments and attitudes at some point in their lives, even in today's times.

Slightly off-topic, and I know you said yourself that it wasn't intended as a general statement, but I do think that if we carry on the way we're going then it'll (hopefully) end up as a thing of the past, and the only things that will be of relevance for people entering the technical industries will be how interested and skilled they are.

The reality is that women are still massively under-represented in some areas, engineering in particular, you are right, some people are seen by others in a strange way, if you pursue things that are gender stereotyped, and that can be a deterrent.
But male domination even extends to the holy grail's of femininity, the top names are always male, hair dressing, dress design, make-up, shoes, this is so ironic, it’s beyond belief.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

resistorman wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 am Thanks y'all! Wonder if I can make something different enough using the Hydra to fool everyone for this OSC :think::lol:

I've actually found some links that show this far better as a performance synth, rather than a step-wise programmed construction - interestingly all done by the same person. However I still find the snatches of music far shorter than I'd like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfbz6KWAgUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2SxLwP4tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUnrwTMW08Y

This one is the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfuC1B2qau8

P.S.
No I won't be buying one :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18066 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!