Scaler 2 + AAS Strum-GS 2 = how to create original patterns

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Scaler 2 + AAS Strum-GS 2 = how to create original patterns

Post by Happy Jammer »

Hi there

When I started my sparkling career in the Bad-Room-Composer (pun intended :mrgreen: ) field, I used my plugins, notably the guitar, in the very basic Loop mode (exactly like in photography where I used for eons my camera mostly as a “point & shoot” )

At that time I disliked the scarce options of patterns offered by e.g. AAS Strum-GS, and this is why I tried arpeggiators and randomizers first, but I realized that their output was too “mechanical”

One fine day I found Scaler and its amazing capacity to stimulate creativity, but even the option to drive AAS Strum-GS in new ways

So I added to the Loop option the Guitar option, either used with my right hand or driven by Scaler

But even this way, my feeling was that the possible patterns were too little and this is why I searched more and I found that using multiple instances of AAS Strum-GS 2 driven by one Scaler gives me gazillion of new patterns

And now I’ll explain how getting original patterns from AAS Strum-GS 2 (and possibly other plugins)

Create a dreaming series of chords with Scaler's Suggest option
(I use it a lot and I looove it)

Then set this routing where the 2 MIDI Polyshers are used to stop unwanted changes of loops in AAS Strum-GS 2

and now try e.g. these guitar presets

The trick works amazingly for funky, jazz, latin and blues tunes, but I’m sure it can works for everything in good hands

As you see following red and green lines, both guitars uses the Take 3 Bank, but the Packs are not the default ones, and you can even use totally unmatched Packs as e.g. Latin or Pop, as far as your ears find a suitable and matching combinate pattern

This hotchpotch of everything, together with changes in AAS Strum-GS 2 Tempo and Voicing created through Scaler Voice Groupings, let you create gazillions of original patterns that are impossible to get in the normal way

Just your creativity, imagination, and ears are needed to do that mojo

Have fun
Happy Jammer
Poster
Posts: 31 Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:04 pm Location: Italy
Ableton Live 11 and a bunch of plugins, Komplete Audio card, AKAI MIDIMIX, Alesis Q49 keyboard

Re: Scaler 2 + AAS Strum-GS 2 = how to create original patterns

Post by Guest »

How are the midi polishers set up?

Post by Happy Jammer »

How are the midi polishers set up?

Hi Bob, sorry for the delay but I was on vacation :)

you can find the explanation and pictures here https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/2-scal ... kflow/8515
Happy Jammer
Poster
Posts: 31 Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:04 pm Location: Italy
Ableton Live 11 and a bunch of plugins, Komplete Audio card, AKAI MIDIMIX, Alesis Q49 keyboard

Post by Guest »

:thumbup: