MidiOx misery

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

MidiOx misery

Post by BJG145 »

I've been using this utility for years, but it seems to have just broken on my PC; despite repeated clean installs, registry cleanups, etc., it just keeps crashing. I've spent the last 10 minutes (and that's a long time in Google terms) looking for an alternative and...I can't see anything obvious...? MidiOx hasn't been updated since 2011. What's going on...? Is a simple free MIDI monitor too much to ask? :thumbdown::(
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: MidiOx misery

Post by N i g e l »

Ive used MIDIOX on W10 & W11 with no problems.
Which windows build are you using and have you tried compatibility modes?
That said if youve been poking the registry your way above my level !

try googling "app to show midi data"

otherwise Cakewalk can record MIDI and show it in list format but that seems a bit over the top.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Johnsy »

BJG145 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 pm Is a simple free MIDI monitor too much to ask? :thumbdown::(

Bloody tightwads!
Johnsy
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

N i g e l wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:59 pm
... if you've been poking the registry you're way above my level !

Just a passing note on 'Registry Cleanups' (which is what the O/P referred to)...

I acknowledge that with a modern OS there is debate among the cognoscenti as to whether they're needed, but they're nothing complicated. If they were, I'd be steering well clear! :)

I just use the one provided as part of CCleaner. It's all automated - you can back up current settings if you're nervous - but in the 15+ years I've been using it, I haven't experienced any untoward consequences.

CCleaner is free and contains all sorts of useful utilities to keep the OS infrastructure in pristine condition.

Now, back to the issue of the moment...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

...fixed now, experimental MIDI gadget was churning out too much data... :thumbup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

Mike Stranks wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:54 am
CCleaner is free and contains all sorts of useful utilities to keep the OS infrastructure in pristine condition.

CCleaner has been infected in the past

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-cent ... er-malware
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by The Elf »

I have to say that I found CCleaner to be increasingly intrusive and I switched to Glary Utilities, which seems to do more, including finding software updates.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Good call, Elf!

I agree that CCleaner has been getting more persistent in its interactions with me... I shall investigate said recommended alternative...

I've just read the 5-year-old Kaspersky piece... all 'fair enough' until you get to the end:

CCleaner is known to be an excellent tool for eliminating malicious programs that hide deep in computer systems...

No it isn't; that's not what CCleaner is about

Kaspersky Internet Security received two AV-TEST awards for the best performance & protection for an internet security product in 2021. In all tests Kaspersky Internet Security showed outstanding performance and protection against cyberthreats.

Ah! Things become clearer... In part it's a puff-piece with a sub-text of "ours is better than theirs" :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

;) i cant keep up with this constant editing ! The edit post countdown timer needs to be reduced to 67.8s

BJG145 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:01 am ...fixed now, experimental MIDI gadget was churning out too much data... :thumbup:

@ the op - your obviously cooking up some MIDI thing that I cant live without.
how much is it and what does it do ????
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by sonics »

The Elf wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:30 pm I have to say that I found CCleaner to be increasingly intrusive and I switched to Glary Utilities, which seems to do more, including finding software updates.

I thought Glary was adware, at least the free version? I use an older version of CCleaner which is clean. Truth be told, I don't feel the need to use it on my computers, but on other peoples...
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1582 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Martin Walker »

The Elf wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:30 pm I have to say that I found CCleaner to be increasingly intrusive and I switched to Glary Utilities, which seems to do more, including finding software updates.

Ooh - thanks for the heads up Monsieur Elf. Just installed Glary Utilities, and it's found loads of (seemingly) legitimate issues/errors/problems that CCleaner didn't. I haven't yet let it correct them, but if my PC continues to function after I finally pluck up courage to take the plunge, I shall declare Glary Utilities a must-have ;)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by The Elf »

Well something I ran in the past did a too-enthusiastic cleaning of something, because I've scuppered my Cubase updates, which always now fails to find something it needs. This happened before I began using Glary.

I get around it by simply copying from my laptop, which updates just fine. At some point I need to do a clean install - ugh!

So do beware!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.