Using Saturation

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Using Saturation

Post by Guest »

More like WTF.

Post by Folderol »

As an effect, tape and transformer saturation are very similar. Fundamentally it's the same magnetic behaviour, although the tape curve is 'fatter'.

You can also get a very approximate saturation effect with two germanium diodes back-to-back fed via a fairly high value resistor - although there is no hysteresis at all of course, so it's never going to be quite right.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Martin Walker »

Folderol wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:05 pm You can also get a very approximate saturation effect with two germanium diodes back-to-back fed via a fairly high value resistor

Ah, the components so beloved by electric guitarists everywhere (it sounds so much more natural then silicon diode clipping ;) )
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Sam Inglis »

To return to the OP for a moment, typically I'd only apply noticeable levels of distortion or saturation to electronic instruments such as synths and drum machines, the occasional weedy-sounding bass drum, and hand percussion such as shakers and tambourines. Distorted vocals have become a bit of a cliché to my mind. When I do use saturation I'll usually also roll off a lot of top end to stop something becoming too harsh (especially on a tambourine).

I often use a clean tape emulator on the master bus, but I think of that as a form of compression and tone shaping rather than saturation really.
Sam Inglis

Post by tea for two »

I look at saturation as how much I want to dunk my biscuit in tea.
tea for two
Frequent Poster