Found my 1981 Pro-One in loft!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Found my 1981 Pro-One in loft!

Post by Forum Admin »

Ian-Sequential-Pro-One-from-1976.jpg
Clearing out my loft and found my old Sequential Pro-One monosynth (1981 I bought from JSG Music after seeing their ad in Melody Maker). It's fitted with the UC-1 Sequencer that I let Argent's fit professionally in 1983 for the review I wrote when working at Electronics & Music Maker magazine as Assistant Editor (Recrding).

For more info on the UC-1 see my review of it in the November 1983 article on Mu:zines.co.uk archive site.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/uc-1-sequencer/1754

It was a fabulous upgrade for the Pro-One's meagre arpeggiator/sequencer -- but I loved and heavily used the original Pro-One onboard sequncer/arpeggiator in my New Romantics band (well, it was 1980s)... we also played Thin Lizzy and Eagles. ;-)

Hoping tonight to be able to plug it in and see if it switches on, for one thing, and makes a noise. The keys were all stuck in position earlier today but I've been running up and down it like a banshee pushing every key down. Only one fails to spring-return to its up position.

Fingers crossed. :)
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Re: Found my 1981 Pro-One in loft!

Post by BJG145 »

Hah, fantastic! Enjoy. :D
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by The Elf »

:shock:

Wow! What a thing to 'find'!

My 'poor man's MiniMoog' has been my constant companion from new. Easily the best bass-maker in my armoury, and has recently had its keyboard (finally) replaced to make it the synth it should have been from new.

It's such an 'immediate' synth. Back in the day I never realised it would become such a part of my life.

Treasure it and use it! :thumbup:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Forum Admin »

@The Elf - I do and I will. Not going to sell it. I too fell in love with it - it was an upgrade from my self-built Powertran Transcendent 2000 monosynth.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SOS Podcasts

Post by muzines »

Such a great synth! :thumbup:

(and fairly unique with the UC-1 upgrade too!)

It also looks to be in excellent shape (externally) too!
Last edited by muzines on Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by MarkOne »

I remember looking longingly at one in a music shop in Bristo back in the 80sl. Keep us informed.

I’m sure it can be coaxed back to life somehow.
Last edited by MarkOne on Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Forum Admin »

Drat, got to go out and run errands, so may have to postpone plugging it in until tomorrow.

Will report back on how it fared. 🎹
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by Forum Admin »

muzines wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:01 pm
It also looks to be in excellent shape (externally) too!

It is pristine apart from too very small nicks in the wooden end-cheeks that originated when our roadie (me) left it in a estate car and it bashed against flightcases. :headbang:
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by t-sun »

That is in beautiful shape, what a great thing to stumble on after a long time in storage. Hope it works!
t-sun
Regular

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Lovely! may it bring you joy once again.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2562 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

If it doesn't bring back all the happy memories I've got a tenner with your name on it and I'll even stump up an additional fiver or so for postage :D

In all seriousness though, what a super re-discovery! Enjoy! :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8820 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by nathanscribe »

That's great! Fantastic sounding synth, lots of bite. I'd not heard of that upgrade before, heading off to read about it now.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by Forum Admin »

Apologies - not been able to bring the synth from my studio yet. Yesterday, I stupidly carried an old Mackie mixer out of my garden studio and forgot the decking had rotted and been removed, so there was a six-inch drop where I thought the surface was...

This caused me to fall forward while carrying the mixer (heavier than I recall) while attempting to comically jump over bricks that had been left under the previous decking, and 10ft later I fell and chucked the mixer in its box to the left, to avoid it stabbing me in the chest. This act threw me to the right and I landed badly on my lawn on my shoulder bone/arm and jolted my neck and arm muscles. Was in agony all night and stiff as a board this morning. Now it's painful to type. Collapsed on the lawn to get my breath back only to have my wife rush out thinking I'd had a heart attack.

So I am cautiously waiting until the weekend to go back to the scene and carry out the Pro-One (unboxed)!
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by The Elf »

Heck! Get it checked - you could have broken bone.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Ouch! Hope you've not done anything serious to yourself! Might be worth getting checked out if you're in pain. Shoulders are complicated joints and easily damaged.

I had a similarly slapstick accident at the Sky TV studios a few years back, carrying a large and heavy Yamaha dm1000 console. Didn't spot a shallow step up onto the studio floor, tripped and then did several progressively out-of-control lunges before giving up and face planting while throwing the console in front of me. We both landed heavily, but the console worked perfectly afterwards with no damage whatsoever. I was bruised and sore for a few days.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38974 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Forum Admin »

The Elf wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:55 am Heck! Get it checked - you could have broken bone.

Painful enough that it might be, but getting to see a GP is a joke around Cambridgeshire. I've had my diabetic bloods visit to a nurse cancelled and re-booking took 2 weeks. They may yet cancel this Friday's visit, as it is so easy to do via Text message. If Govt going to charge for no-show GP appointments, then surely we public can be due a refund of our National Insurance if THEY cancel?
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by tea for two »

Forum Admin wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:43 am This act threw me to the right and I landed badly on my lawn on my shoulder bone/arm and jolted my neck and arm muscles. Was in agony all night and stiff as a board this morning. Now it's painful to type. Collapsed on the lawn to get my breath back only to have my wife rush out thinking I'd had a heart attack.

So I am cautiously waiting until the weekend to go back to the scene and carry out the Pro-One (unboxed)!

Ian there's no need to exhort yourself for oursakes nor suffer for our sakes.

Please take as long as it requires for you to mend.

(Pro1 can wait it has waited 4decades).
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:04 pm I had a similarly slapstick accident at the Sky TV studios a few years back, carrying a large and heavy Yamaha DM1000 console. Didn't spot a shallow step up onto the studio floor, tripped and then did several progressively out-of-control lunges before giving up and face planting while throwing the console in front of me. We both landed heavily, but the console worked perfectly afterwards with no damage whatsoever. I was bruised and sore for a few days.

That sounds very close to what I did. Maybe we could start a TikTok/YouTube viral video trend of engineers/musicians tripping over and chucking audio gear? :tongue::beamup:

My old Mackie was heading to my storage unit and was brown-taped all over the box edges, so I haven't bothered cutting it open and seeing if it was damaged.
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by Forum Admin »

tea for two wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:53 pm Please take as long as it requires for you to mend.

Good point! 👍
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by Folderol »

Forum Admin wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:55 pm
tea for two wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:53 pm Please take as long as it requires for you to mend.

Good point! 👍

Indeed. Us kids need to look after ourselves - can't rely on the oldies :tongue::lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18179 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!