Mac Tower battery dying?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Mac Tower battery dying?

Post by ManFromGlass »

I’ve searched the internet about Mac tower batteries dying but all I find is information on laptop batteries. My 2010 tower is forgetting where I have left windows open and rotates their positions every time I boot up. I found that the original battery - a BR2032, not a CR2032, should last at least 7 years.
I’ve ordered another battery but wanted to check in with the SOS hive mind here in case this might be a symptom of another issue. I haven’t noticed any other issues but that doesn’t mean they aren’t happening.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Re: Mac Tower battery dying?

Post by sonics »

I thought that OS configuration information like window location was saved to disk and is not dependent on the NVRAM battery. I believe a failing battery would affect things like display resolution, time, date, sound volume, startup disk etc.
Have you checked the disk with Disk Utility?
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1583 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Guest »

If the resolution is changing then windows can move around, not sure about rotating though!

Post by ManFromGlass »

I moved up to High Sierra and Disk Warrior who has saved my butt many times, doesn’t work with the new (to me) Mac drive format. So I have no way to check my boot drive anymore for issues. I’ll continue on with multiple backups of all my drives in case the worst happens.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Post by Exalted Wombat »

So the Mac is remembering which windows should be open, but getting muddled about their screen position?

This just MIGHT be about PRAM memory getting confused. A new battery won't hurt. But Google for 'Reset PRAM' as well.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5806 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by ManFromGlass »

Yes - tried zapping the PRAM and rebuilding the prefs. Right now it is a bit amusing as the windows remain in the same place but the content is swapped, almost like musical chairs. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is accumulation of the detritus of numerous OS updates over 12 years. With luck it will be the battery.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Post by Guest »

Create a new user.

Switch to that user.

Open some apps and position them.

Turn off, turn back on and log into that user.

Are you seeing the same thing?