Good Mixing Headphones to replace Monitors

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Good Mixing Headphones to replace Monitors

Post by james090 »

Just asking to see what people's thoughts are on any good headphones for mixing?

I have the Beyerdynamic DT990's Pro, which are great, and understand that monitors are always preferable, but I could be moving to a new room with acoustic issues.

Therefore any higher priced headphone recommendations for mixing and mastering gratefully recieved
james090
Regular

Re: Good Mixing Headphones to replace Monitors

Post by RichardT »

There are many, many good choices these days - what’s your budget?
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4075 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by james090 »

RichardT wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:30 pm There are many, many good choices these days - what’s your budget?

Probably around £1000 if they are very good alternatives to Studio Monitors
james090
Regular

Post by RichardT »

I have focal Elears, and like them. But they are bettered now by the Focal Clear MGs, which are quite a lot more expensive and slightly over your budget. They would be worth a listen!
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4075 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I've got some DT990s and I find them noticeably improved with correction software.
This is a subject that splits the forum somewhat but it's worth looking at.

That being said, with your budget, you might not need it! :)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by james090 »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:02 pm I've got some DT990s and I find them noticeably improved with correction software.

Yes the DT990's are great, but I had nothing to compare them too, so maybe I need to look at SonarWorks or similar to correct them?
james090
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

james090 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:04 pm
blinddrew wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:02 pm I've got some DT990s and I find them noticeably improved with correction software.

Yes the DT990's are great, but I had nothing to compare them too, so maybe I need to look at SonarWorks or similar to correct them?

I think they do a trial period so it'd be worth looking at. For me the biggest difference was that they brought my monitors and headphones much closer in terms of response, which meant I wasn't going back and forth tweaking things one way or another when I changed listening devices.
Obviously if you're not going to be doing that then it may be much less valuable to you and you could be better off just really learning your headphones with some good reference material.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by sonics »

If you need accuracy (and surely replacing studio monitors with headphones is all about that) then I believe that one should use correction software. Sonarworks or Toneboosters Morphit. Then you can get very fine results from even GBP200 headphones from the likes of Beyer, Shure or Audio-Technica.

How good your hearing is and your experience may dictate how much mileage you get from spending more. I'd consider Sennheiser 6xx, AKG K7xx, Shure SRH or BD DT1xxx if you want to spend more. I have no experience with Focal or the newer brands. Even my razor-sharp Grados were turned into an analytical delight with correction EQ!

Headphones should be chosen carefully for fit, comfort and design (closed/open etc.). A good seal is needed for correct bass. I have even mixed in noisy environments using IEMs and correction software. Results were excellent.

After dealing with many speakers in different rooms I am so glad I now also have consistency with headphones and software. It also gives me an accurate reference point for comparison. If anyone's interested, I also use room emulation to avoid the "inside the head" effects of headphone mixing. I also use correction on my studio monitors, of course!
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1583 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by James Perrett »

I'm happy with Sennheiser HD600s with no additional correction. They give me a similar presentation to my monitors but allow me to work at times when my monitors would disturb other people.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by The Elf »

AKG K7xx without a moment's hesitation. I also have HD600s, but the AKG K702s are the ones I choose, and all my mixes are done with them.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Mike Stranks »

sonics wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:25 pm I'd consider... BD DT1xxx if you want to spend more.

I'm making an assumption that BD is shorthand for BeyerDynamic.

If so, while I'd accept the DT150 as OK-ish - although there are plenty of other contenders at that price point that are just as good/better - I don't rate the DT100 at all. I found them very 'middy' and totally unsuitable for mixing. I'm not alone in that assessment. I didn't keep mine for very long at all.

We've been seduced by numerous photos of people in studios wearing 'em and the dreaded 'industry standard' moniker. Fine for studio foldback duties, but not for critical mixing.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by james090 »

The Elf wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:57 am AKG K7xx without a moment's hesitation. I also have HD600s, but the AKG K702s are the ones I choose, and all my mixes are done with them.

I might have to check these out alongside my DT990s
james090
Regular