how do I delete or remove rocovery partitions from laptop?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

how do I delete or remove rocovery partitions from laptop?

Post by Baldo »

I have a laptop that has about 20GB being used up as "Recovery" partitions.
One of these was there when I bought the machine and I'm not sure how the others got there.

How do I remove these from the drive. They are using up space and I would prefer to use the space for something else. I have tried going into Computer Admin and Computer Management but the it does not give me the option to be able to delete these or remove them.

Any ideas???
Baldo
Regular
Posts: 273 Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:00 am Location: Germany
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: how do I delete or remove rocovery partitions from laptop?

Post by Baldo »

ok I managed to delete the smaller recovery partitions using the Windows power shell.

But there is a big one that is labeled Recovery and shown as a Primary partition type. Should I delete this to free up the space on the drive?
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Post by OneWorld »

Baldo wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:21 pm ok I managed to delete the smaller recovery partitions using the Windows power shell.

But there is a big one that is labeled Recovery and shown as a Primary partition type. Should I delete this to free up the space on the drive?

Although likely to be less the case these days, some recovery partitions contained drivers specific to that model of laptops and sometimes if needed, say a reinstall or a fixup, the driver isn't found in the recovery partition and is not available on the manufacturer's website. I think I'd be inclined to leave it be. Before you do any deleting though, do a drive image, just in case.

When I've done this sort of thing, I've bought a spare HDD and made changes on that.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Baldo »

That's a PITA then. its a waste of space really.

I suppose to be on the safe side its best to leave it be. For now.

thanks.
Baldo
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

Baldo wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:02 pm That's a PITA then. its a waste of space really.

I suppose to be on the safe side its best to leave it be. For now.

thanks.

My previous Win7/10 laptop had one of these...

Got me out of a hole two or three times when I'd inadvertently screwed things up.

As advised, I'd leave well alone. If space is an issue, then I'd get an external drive... they're small and portable enough these days not to be an issue.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster