I need a cable making!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I need a cable making!

Post by The Elf »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:24 pm Elf, if you want to import some Amphenol plugs I'll happily make up the adapters for you.

Happy to do that if anyone can tell me who has them.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by The Elf »

I've grabbed the Leeds Radio plug and cap, so at least I have one.

Never even considered the parts were going to be hard to find. There are thousands of Hammonds and Leslies out there, but presumably people just buy ready made cables.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Luke W »

The Elf wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:30 pm Never even considered the parts were going to be hard to find. There are thousands of Hammonds and Leslies out there, but presumably people just buy ready made cables.

And those cables seem to be exclusively available in the "very long and even more expensive" variety!
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Not that I know of, but you could order the parts from BB Organ and have them shipped in advance to wherever you're staying or working with in the US, and then bring them back in your baggage.

https://www.bborgan.com/collections/typ ... %20Sockets

For each cable adapter set you'd need one Amphenol Male Plug 11 pin ($13.99) and one Leslie Cap package ($16.99). The cables, TS/TRS plugs and DC power plug/sockets we can obviously source in the UK.

If you're up for it, add a set for me!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38831 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:01 pm Not that I know of, but you could order the parts from BB Organ and have them shipped in advance...

I'm up for it, but I've done this for a few items already, and I don't want to wear out my hosts' good will! I'll see what I can do...

Done!

It will be a while, but I'll get it to you in a few weeks.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Luke W wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:40 pmAnd those cables seem to be exclusively available in the "very long and even more expensive" variety!

I've only found an 8-pin version for the SK1/2 and XK1c models from Thomann:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hammond_neo_v ... _cable.htm

And an 11-pin version intended for the obsoleted Leslie 12C speaker from Sweetwater.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... le-10-foot

However, the latter costs a ludicrous $100, the fast/slow connections are reversed for a Neo Vent, and it doesn't have a B+ connection to tell the Hammond that the (fake) Leslie is connected which might be a bit of a drawback if you wanted to bypass the internal Leslie effect.

I am surprised, given the number of modern Hammond Clones and the popularity of the neo that suitable adapter cables aren't more readily available.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by The Elf »

As above, I've ordered a couple of 11-pin and caps for both of us.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Ooh! You are keen! :lol: Thanks!

I'll source the quarter inch plugs and cable then.

What do you want to do about the B+ power supply?

The DIY page on the Neo website suggests looping the Neo's own PSU via the Hammond plug, but it might be more flexible to use a separate +12V supply. let me know when convenient.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by The Elf »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:52 pm What do you want to do about the B+ power supply?

I assume the power comes from the XK5's 11-pin socket to the Neo? At least that's what the diagram and photo in my first page post seem to imply?

(This is why I didn't trust myself to make this cable!) :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The Elf wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:57 pmI assume the power comes from the XK5's 11-pin socket to the Neo? At least that's what the diagram and photo in my first page post seem to imply?

Sadly not.

That square blob on the left of your diagram labelled 'pwr' is a socket which expects to receive a +12V DC supply, and route it to the XK5 on pin 11 to tell it that a (fake) Leslie is connected. Without that external voltage the internal Leslie processing won't be bypassed and the onboard Leslie switches won't control the external unit.

So... you need to squirt 12V into the 11 pin plug, but it only needs the voltage; it doesn't draw any significant current...

And you also need to pump 12V into the Neo pedal...

So one reasonably practical option would be to wire a 12V supply into the 11 pin socket, with a loop-through to power the Neo. That's the suggested arrangement in the DIY article on Neo's website anyway. Alternatively, you could use a separate 12V wall wart wired into the 11-pin just for the organ.

Interestingly (if you're that way inclined), the XK1c and SK1/2 use an 8-pin Din for the Leslie connection, and that just needs to see a ground on one pin to think there's an attached (fake) Leslie, which is much more sensible.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by The Elf »

Oh, that's a shame. I was hoping to avoid the horrid PSU. Oh well, I suppose that's why the photo shows an in-line power socket, so that the Vent's own PSU I have can be plugged into the line connector, or removed to put things back as they were. Makes sense now.
This is much more complicated than I thought. I'm increasingly glad I didn't attempt it myself!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

Folderol wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:45 pm Looks suspiciously like the old octal style 11pin plugs often mated with 11pin relay bases - not seen one for decades!

My 1970s custom pedalboard which my dear Dad built for me used an Amphenol connector just like this -- it took power from my H/H VS Musician amp (which is in storage) and that had a similar connector on the rear panel. My pedalboard used relays for its on/off "buttons" which gave me silent-switching back in the day.

I don't know what became of the pedalboard - it might be in my Dad's loft (attic) or has long since been scrapped. I suspect the latter as it had two central pedals, one being a Colorsound wah-wah, the other a volume swell pedal. I found the way-wah pedal minus its bottom casing, in my recent studio clearout.

So, in short, not sure I can help you here.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4233 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts