Questions for synthesists with ribbon controllers

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Questions for synthesists with ribbon controllers

Post by Folderol »

Hmm we do seem to have 'drifted' a bit :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18205 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BJG145 »

BigRedX wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:41 pmAre you thinking of David Vorhaus' Kaleidophon?

Good catch.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/david-vorhaus
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by MarkOne »

BigRedX wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:41 pm
MarkOne wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:06 am No, the more I've thought about it, it was definitely 4 ribbons, about the height of a double bass and the whole body was basically a C profile PVC construction that probably started life as a length of white guttering.

This probably predates MIDI and I think each ribbon created a CV/Gate signal.

But I really can't find anything out there on the interwebs

Are you thinking of David Vorhaus' Kaleidophon?

YES! That’s it!

Glad my memory was not playing tricks on me!

And this is the BBC TW article I had in mind:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by BJG145 »

Time to put some of these to work.

(Arduino with MIDI board, Teensy 4.0 with audio board, Daisy Pod, and an Axoloti donated via the forum.)

500mm membrane potentiometer and FSR on the way...

I swiped a spare laptop from work this afternoon, and just downloaded the latest Debian.

I recently took a look round the local Hackspace, a makerspace with 3D printers, laser cutters, electronics workbench and wood/metal workshops, and decided to sign up.

If I can't make a Yoshimi ribbon synth out of this lot then I'm a Dutchman. :D
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Folderol »

We will be watching!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

BJG145 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:05 pm
If I can't make a Yoshimi ribbon synth out of this lot then I'm a Dutchman. :D

veel geluk
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by BJG145 »

@Folderol, dunno if you might be able to help a Linux newbie get started with MIDI...

I thought I'd give Fedora 37 a try, on an HP 250 G7 laptop. I've pulled in Yoshimi 2.2.1 and it works fine with the on-screen keyboard.

I've connected up a CME Widi X8, a class-compliant MIDI interface. I've also installed QJackCtl, where I can select it from the "Interface" drop-down, and a random synth called Qsynth which plays OK via a MIDI keyboard.

I'm not sure what settings I need for Yoshimi though...I've tried "Set as preferred MIDI" in the Jack and Alsa tabs. Do I need to change the "MIDI Source" entry from "default" maybe...?

Any thoughts appreciated, ta...alternatively I could try the dreaded Ubuntu Studio or pick up a MIDISport instead...:thumbup:
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by BJG145 »

*edit*

Forget that, wrong MIDI channel, d'oh. Success...! Awesome.

I've got a name for the ribbon controller...Morse Machine.

The Eowave Persephone...

...borrowed a feature from the Ondes Martenot - the "expression key".

In one of its modes, the right hand is used to play the ribbon, while the left hand triggers notes via this key. So I thought I'd nick that idea, but use a Morse key.

There's tons of the things kicking around on eBay; not much call for them nowadays.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by N i g e l »

Wire + Ring on a finger controller - if you like Messiaen about with modulation....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx7Vd6agALY

1:50 gets you straight to the good stuff.

Thats what it took to have a real performance instrument to mix it with an orchestra [There might have been a knee controller also] !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3712 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Wonks »

N i g e l wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:11 pm [There might have been a knee controller also] !

Ni!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ManFromGlass »

Nnnnnnni!
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6674 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by BJG145 »

At lunchtime I abandoned my Teams vigil to collect the Artiphon Instrument from MIDI storage silo #2. (My mum's spare room. It's okay; she says she doesn't mind.)

There's a lot of Linux distros out there. I hadn't thought about Fedora until Folderol mentioned it, but it looks promising so far. It picked up the Artiphon and Yoshimi 2.2.1 without any fuss for some plucked strings in guitar mode.

I need to investigate what it can do as a ribbon-esque controller next. Also, the membrane potentiometer arrived today so I can start messing with that. :thumbup:

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Folderol »

:D
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

I'm currently looking into how it might be possible to play Yoshimi with a ribbon controller using this kind of technique...

https://youtu.be/9yJjmelle0I?t=11

That's the kind of thing I'm used to. It's usually also possible to get them to snap to scales, but that kind of defeats the object.

I've been able to recreate this with the Artiphon Instrument 1 and Rob Papen Blue on a PC. I can set the Artiphon pitchbend range to 24...

(...the max is 48, which is an MPE standard...)

...and I can match that with the same pitchbend range in Blue.

(I can't see an obvious way to get that above 24; maybe there's a newer version out now, but quite a lot of older VSTs have restricted pitchbend ranges as there probably didn't seem any need for super-wide ones at the time.)

I can then tap the Artiphon's fretboard at different places to play a note, and also drag notes around in a legato way; eg I can tap three frets lower, or drag three frets lower to glide down, ribbon-synth style. Tapping gives you note-on/note-off, while dragging is implemented via that wide pitchbend setting. I think this is a pretty standard approach for MIDI-capable ribbon controllers.

I can tap different notes in Yoshimi, but I can only drag up and down up to maybe a couple of semitones along the whole length of the fretboard. In order to play it ribbon-style via the Artiphon (or some other ribbon controller like the Eowave Persephone), I'd need to be able to set the pitchbend on Yoshimi to 24, or 48, say. At the moment I'm not sure how to change it, or whether I can. Is it fixed at a maximum of a semitone up and down, or is there an option to set it somewhere...? :)

(Using a ribbon controller for expression is a different matter, as that's based on MIDI #CCs and pitchbend isn't. I'll look at that too.)
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Folderol »

You can expand Yoshimi's pitch bend range in the Controllers window. It's right in the middle at the top! Go too far and it starts to go in steps. This is partly dependent on the control source and partly the NRPN resolution - a lot of pitch wheels only have about 10 bit resolution.

P.S. we should probably try to find some way to interpolate intermediate values from a moving control.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

...right, gotcha. That's in cents, so to match the 24 I set on the Artiphon it needs to be 2400...which then works in just the same way as Blue. Here's a quick demo. I've tacked on some dodgy Artiphon/Yoshimi guitar strumming as a bonus.

https://youtu.be/pSMEIjNfVv8

Incidentally I re-read the notes where you were describing how portamento might be used instead...

...set Mode to Legato and just below that set the Portamento checkbox. Next, click on Controllers, and in its window change Portamento Thresh to 0 and Time to about 80. The ribbon should now give you a smooth sweep...

...but, for reference, there's a few complications.

1) If you're gliding to note values instead of using pitchbend, you're only going to get exact notes. Part of the appeal of ribbon controllers is being able to play out of tune...or, let's say, play notes slightly sharp or flat like a violin. You can play vibrato by wiggling a finger. They're not enslaved by equal temperament or any of that stuff; you can play microtonal scales if you choose.

2) You'd need to be able to configure the ribbon controller to send a string of note-ons when dragging from one note to another, rather than sending pitchbend. The Artiphon can do either, but I'm not sure how common that is.

3) You can control 'glide time' in real time on a ribbon controller; fast, slow, variable. I'm not sure how well that would fit with the glide time that's usually associated with portamento controls. I'm not able to test that thoroughly with the Artiphon, because it transmits a string of note-on/note-off as you drag up the fretboard in "send notes" mode, producing a chromatic scale instead of a sweep. In order to use a ribbon with a typical portamento setup, where you hold the start note before pressing the end note, I think you'd need to be able to configure the controller to send a string of only note-ons as you drag, and a set of note-offs when you release, which would get a bit complicated.

...so...yeah, I reckon pitch control via a ribbon controller needs a wide pitchbend approach rather than trying to piggy-back on portamento. Most Windows VSTs tend to follow the approach of Blue illustrated above, with separate bend-up and bend-down response values that can be set to anything you like, counting in semitones, with a maximum of at least 48 for MPE support. But as I say, the control you've provided works fine for me. :thumbup:
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by BJG145 »

...just one more thought, which is that the Artiphon has this rubber fretboard thing going on, where it doesn't feel natural or comfortable to have more than a semitone per fret. But normal ribbon controllers don't, and can cover several octaves over the same length. I think the Continuumini covers a couple of octaves within its 50cm or so, while the Persephone has a scale control with increments that go up to several octaves IIRC. When I've finished "Morse Machine" (patent pending) I'll be able to do some more testing and see how far I can ramp up Yoshimi's pitchbend setting.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Folderol »

Very pleased with the results you got :bouncy:
I take your points about using separate notes with portamento. It wouldn't really work except in very specific cases.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

Resistors galore...600 for £3.95.

The FSR strip will take a bit longer to arrive as it's coming from China, but I think I've got everything to mock up a basic ribbon now....
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

I think you ought to start a DIY channel Ben - your posts are invariably fascinating, most creative, as well as educational 8-)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK