Photo Editor for Mac/iPad?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Photo Editor for Mac/iPad?

Post by 6120 »

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice.

I've had a look at the Seriff app and its cheap and will probably cover everything I need to do. I'm not intending to pursue any professional work and won't need anything too heavy duty for now.

I had Adobe Photoshop Elements when I was on pc's years ago and had forgotten about it but will take another look.

LumaFusion also looks interesting and is not too expensive either

Obviously things might change depending on how good my efforts turn out!

Cheers.
Regular
Posts: 83 Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: London

Post by Mats G »

A bit late to the party, perhaps, but wanted to chime in anyway.

Having worked in Photoshop for many years, I made the switch to Affinity Photo in 2015 and haven't looked back. It's grown into a very powerful photo editor, which I heartily recommend.

The only area where I haven't been able to get satisfying results with it is when developing Apple Pro Raw files. Some time ago, I by coincidence learnt about Raw Power by Gentlemen Coders. It does not contain all the creative tools that Affinity Photo or Photoshop do, but focuses on making the best out of a picture in terms of exposure, colours, dynamics etc, be it from raw or other formats. In this regard it resembles Lightroom. It is available for MacOS and iPad and developed by a former Apple employee, who seemingly has deep insights in the Apple Pro Raw format, which differs from standard raws by not being, well, strictly raw. Embedded in these files are e.g. HDR and sharpening data that appears as fixed for editors like Affinity Photo, but which Raw Power opens up and makes available for editing. That makes a tremendous difference on the results you can get from Apple Pro Raw files, but the app is equally capable of great results on any raw or other formats.

If you're interested in the technicalities behind Apple Pro Raw and Raw Power's way of handling it, watch this clip from Gentlemen Coders: https://youtu.be/LguSpnDoShM. Interesting stuff.

Oh, and it's a one-off buy and very reasonably priced.
Mats G
Poster
Posts: 16 Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sweden
Mats G

Post by sonics »

Mats G wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:28 pm Some time ago, I by coincidence learnt about Raw Power by Gentlemen Coders.

Thanks, I didn't know about that.
I'll add that the free cross-platform RAW Therapee is worth a look, too.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 501 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by blakedirksen »

I'm a big fan of Pixelmator Pro. One time purchase, updates keep up with Mac OS updates and works work with my Photo's library.
blakedirksen
Regular
Posts: 68 Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:29 pm Location: Coralville, Iowa USA

Post by Mike Stranks »

I'm just getting into GIMP - very comprehensive, cross-platform and free!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster