Bass Trap Conundrum (Center Rear Wall)

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Bass Trap Conundrum (Center Rear Wall)

Post by Briz »

Hi All,

First, I appreciate your help in advance. I have a back wall (rear, behind the listening position) where a bass trap is needed. *There are two doors on this rear wall. I have traps in all of the corners.* The best I can do with the space between the doors is a 24" x 24" x 4" trap between the doors.

Here's the problem: I'm unable to place the trap at the optimal point behind the listening position because of the light switch?

My question: Is it better to place the bass trap higher than the optimal position (about 6" higher above the switch), or under the switch (below ear level).

Thanks again.
Briz
Poster
Inspecting &Adapting Daily @ Life

Re: Bass Trap Conundrum (Center Rear Wall)

Post by Wonks »

Could you make a DIY bass trap with a cutout for the light switch?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

If you go higher up can you angle it across the wall / ceiling corner.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24612 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Briz »

Wonks wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:44 pm Could you make a DIY bass trap with a cutout for the light switch?

Possibly, but it would be a bit tricky, given the small size. If I can figure out how to attach a picture, I will. Thank you.
Briz
Poster

Post by Briz »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:17 pm If you go higher up can you angle it across the wall / ceiling corner.

I have a wedge where the ceiling meets the wall. This would be positioned much lower, slightly above or slightly below listening height, given the light switch position.

I guess what I'm asking is, given the choice between a little higher than listening height or a little lower than, is one position preferable?

I'm also using Sonarworks ID for monitor / room correction. But, I also understand this software doesn't negate the need for good acoustic treatment. Thank you for your reply.
Briz
Poster

Post by Matt Houghton »

Wonks wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:44 pm Could you make a DIY bass trap with a cutout for the light switch?

...or move the lightswitch?!
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Wonks »

Briz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:25 am Possibly, but it would be a bit tricky, given the small size. If I can figure out how to attach a picture, I will. Thank you.

The site doesn't host photos. You need to host elsewhere and link. You can use the insert image icon to display it directly if you link to the photo file (and not the page it's shown on - a common mistake). So the link file name should end in .jpg or .png etc.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Briz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:30 am I guess what I'm asking is, given the choice between a little higher than listening height or a little lower than, is one position preferable?

I suspect that it's not going to make any material difference if you're just talking about a little higher or lower on the same wall.
So go with whatever gets you closest to the mirror points.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Briz »

blinddrew wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:58 am
Briz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:30 am I guess what I'm asking is, given the choice between a little higher than listening height or a little lower than, is one position preferable?

I suspect that it's not going to make any material difference if you're just talking about a little higher or lower on the same wall.
So go with whatever gets you closest to the mirror points.

Thank you.
Briz
Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Briz wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:19 pmHere's the problem: I'm unable to place the trap at the optimal point behind the listening position because of the light switch?

Space the trap off the wall sufficiently that you can easily reach behind to operate the switch... or fit a new switch to the frame of the trap and wire back into the wall switch... or leave the switch on and fit WiFi controlled bulbs which you can operate from your phone/computer.... leave it switched off and use table lamps etc switched locally...

If you can't/won't do any of those, the less worse height option will depend on locations of other reflective surfaces in the room.

I'd get some assistants to hold the panel in the optional locations while you sit in the hot seat and listen for what arrangement sounds best..
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by RichardT »

If your studio length is small, then I’d do as Hugh suggests and experiment with various positions. If it’s more than say 4 metres it won’t make a lot of difference which position you choose.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by James Perrett »

Given that you can rarely have too much bass trapping in a room, why not use two traps? One above and one below the light switch.
James Perrett
Posts: 14368 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:D genius!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Briz »

Thank you all for your advice and feedback. I decided to buy 4 free standing bass traps (24" × 48" x 5.25" thick). I have them on adjustable stands that sit approximately 5" from the wall. I'm going to experiment with placement. When I find the right spot, I'll remove them from the stands and mount them on the wall, if possible. If it's not possible, I'll likely leave them on the stands until I can find a better solution. I really appreciate the advice.
Briz
Poster

Post by Wonks »

Presumably mounted on, but still held off the wall I presume?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Briz »

Wonks wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:49 am Presumably mounted on, but still held off the wall I presume?

Yes, and since you mentioned it, would a 1.5" or 3.81cm gap between the flat rear wall suffice, or is a larger gap required? The reason I ask is because the traps are 5.25" thick.
Briz
Poster

Post by Wonks »

Normally recommended to have the same gap as the panel thickness for maximum effectiveness, but if you can't make the gap that big, make it as big as you can.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Martin Walker »

Wonks wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:38 pm Normally recommended to have the same gap as the panel thickness for maximum effectiveness, but if you can't make the gap that big, make it as big as you can.

Spot on advice from Wonks as usual!

(or I'm imagining a Thunderbirds scenario where the bass traps are normally flat against the rear wall, but on pressing your MIX button they slowly slide forward 5 inches ;) )
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Martin Walker wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:09 pm (or I'm imagining a Thunderbirds scenario where the bass traps are normally flat against the rear wall, but on pressing your MIX button they slowly slide forward 5 inches ;) )

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to appreciate the noticeable improvement in control between 150 and 300Hz."
;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado