Reaper with ReaClassical extensions

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Reaper with ReaClassical extensions

Post by Aled Hughes »

The Red Bladder wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:42 am
James Perrett wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:27 am
The Red Bladder wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:30 pm We use only Reaper for classical and we do this for money!

Are you using either of these Source/Destination editing add-ons or are you using Reaper as it comes?

Straight out of the box - no magic extensions.

There is no such thing as classical music being different to record and edit, compared to any other type of music - music is music. Whether five or fifty people are playing, the process is pretty much the same for each type of recording - classical is acoustic, i.e. no MIDI and no synths, etc. But recording acoustic rock or folk or Abyssinian nose-flute playing - the processes are the same!

Recording classical music - Artist(s) come(s) to the studio and plays a section until he/she/it/they are totally happy with a passage and then crack on to the next bit - until we get to the end. I then FTP the audio to them and they piece together the bits they like by copying all those bits to a separate track. They send me the bare Reaper project file without the audio encapsulated. I stich it together and send it as an MP3 for approval. Improvements are made and a final WAV/88.2 version is sent to the label for mastering (or I get to use my own ears for mastering, or it is sent to a third-party mastering house).

As for any extensions - I have yet to find an extension to any DAW that didn't involve a great deal of fannying about for little or no benefit.

Yes it does take some work to get it set-up, but once it's done it's done.

But of course, the way you describe it above, you're not actually doing the editing yourself, so it stands to reason source/destination wouldn't be of much use to you!

But when you're doing the cuts yourself from numerous takes that don't have a timing reference (not just classical - I use it a lot for folk music, as well as pop/rock that's not recorded to click, and also some dialogue editing), source/destination editing is a very fast and powerful tool - there's a reason why it's a big selling point for the more classical-orientated DAWs (Pyramix, Sequioia, SADiE etc), and once I started using it I couldn't imagine being without it.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by sonics »

WRT location recording, my computer is reserved for such tasks. It's an older HP running Windows 7 and upgraded with SSDs. That's all it does, and it's never let me down. It still has Firewire in case I want to use my older interfaces for a 24-track gig.

I do record a backup to camera or portable recorder. (The Zoom F6 is a nice device for the money!).

I looked at Reaper a few years ago and it felt then like Linux did vs MacOS or Windows; just too "geeky". I don't want to have to set lots of things up if another product doesn't require me to. I appreciate the flexibility, but just need to get on with the work. I assume it's much better now, too. There is also the issue of cost. It was actually more expensive than the full Studio One Pro when I made my purchase. I also use some of the sound content, and Notion.

Studio One 6 (announced yesterday) allows for custom layouts. The Artist version would be all that was required.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1580 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Aled Hughes »

sonics wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:53 pm WRT location recording, my computer is reserved for such tasks. It's an older HP running Windows 7 and upgraded with SSDs. That's all it does, and it's never let me down. It still has Firewire in case I want to use my older interfaces for a 24-track gig.

I do record a backup to camera or portable recorder. (The Zoom F6 is a nice device for the money!).

I looked at Reaper a few years ago and it felt then like Linux did vs MacOS or Windows; just too "geeky". I don't want to have to set lots of things up if another product doesn't require me to. I appreciate the flexibility, but just need to get on with the work. I assume it's much better now, too. There is also the issue of cost. It was actually more expensive than the full Studio One Pro when I made my purchase. I also use some of the sound content, and Notion.

Studio One 6 (announced yesterday) allows for custom layouts. The Artist version would be all that was required.

Reaper is perfectly functional 'as is', but it's true that really does pay to delve in and change a few things to change your way of working. I'm left scratching my head a bit when faced with working on a fresh install I must admit!
It's the price of flexibility, and I agree that if that doesn't appeal then another solution with a well-defined workflow can be better.
I think Sam Inglis wrote something a few years ago about the benefit of something like ProTools with an established and defined workflow and shortcuts etc. that just works the same way on every system. I do get his point.
I use ProTools fairly often (not by choice, really) and Pyramix - what I tend to do is take what I like from those programs and try and find a way of replicating it in Reaper (eg. the source/destination editing discussed in this thread, and object/item selection in ProTools). It works well for me, but does require investing time in setting it all up, as mentioned.

Regarding cost, I think it's £60-ish for a non-commercial/small business license, and around £200 for a professional license.

Aled
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by sonics »

Aled Hughes wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:59 pm Reaper is perfectly functional 'as is', but it's true that really does pay to delve in and change a few things to change your way of working.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm glad that my impression of Reaper seems to be correct. We spend enough time these days on computers, setup, plugin installation etc. that I wanted a DAW that doesn't require much setup input, yet is flexible enough when required. I had decided to move away from Cubase and Pro Tools. There are many other reasons why SO looked like the best tool for me, and it cost me (IIRC) just $99 as an upgrade from the Artist version which came free with some hardware!

Reaper gets recommended a lot for non-professionals, but it seems to be exactly the worst choice for many of those people, IMO. (I've been teaching music tech for over thirty years, off and on.) Cubase Artist or Studio One Artist, for example, always seem like better options for beginners.

...and now AVID have announced Pro Tools Intro!
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

I have only used Reaper since returning 'into the box' so maybe my familiarity is leading me astray, but I didn't, and still don't find Reaper 'geeky' in the way that Linux is (sorry foldy :blush: ), for me it just worked straight out of the box*. I use Reaper for stereo editing as well as multitracking and much prefer it to Wavelab (which I was using before). Any DAW has a learning curve, it made sense to me to decide I was going to use Reaper and get on with it so I don't understand your assertion that Reaper is the worst possible choice for some beginners**? IMHO any DAW is going to give them trouble until they learn the basics and if my luddite drummer mate can learn to record and export drum tracks in Reaper anybody can :D

BTW I'm interested to know a bit more about 'source/destination' editing?

* Whatever system you use there is, inevitably, a certain amount of setting up, labelling and assigning channels and such like but if I'd used any other DAW I don't imagine it would have been any more 'user friendly' to achieve those tasks.

** I'm a bit of a geek TBF but I came from tape to Cubase, then to hardware digital and finally back to a Mac Pro based Reaper system and I didn't find Cubase 'intuitive' until I had invested some time learning it all those years ago.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19584 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Sam Spoons wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:08 pmBTW I'm interested to know a bit more about 'source/destination' editing?

It's no more complex than the term describes.

You have two time-lines or playlists or EDLs — whatever the DAW calls them — in the same project. The original audio is loaded into the Source playlist, and the wanted parts are then basically cut and pasted into the Destination playlist to build up the wanted final track.

Typically, you'd start with the best master take, and then maybe you'd want to replace one or more short sections within that master.

To do that you'd identify the start and end of the section to be replaced in the Destination, and the start and end of the required retake in the Source — hence 'four point editing — and then activate the replacement edit insert.

A benefit of the four-point editing is that if the retake is slightly shorter or longer than the section being replaced, the remaining material in the Source playlist slides up or down as necessary so you have seamless edits. No overlaps and no gaps.

It's also usually possible to do three point edits where one of the four edit marks is intentionally omitted.

For example, when depositing the initial master track into the Destination you might have start and end points in the Source material but only a start point in the Destination.

Hope that gives you an overview.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38832 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by shufflebeat »

I may be missing something but that sounds an awful lot like comp'ing in Reaper.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Arpangel »

I took to Reaper straight away, after using Sequoia it was a walk in the park.
All of a sudden things became obvious, plus, I could "also" go in and customise, heavily.
Things like Logic, seem to be a bit like Garage Band, you feel there’s someone making a lot of the decisions for you, in an attempt to make it feel very "friendly" in typical Apple world fashion, but the last thing I found about it was that it was far from logical, and I’m a Mac owner.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by tacitus »

So I did actually download Reaper today, and had multiple mikes recording very quickly. Would have been quicker still if I’d checked my mac’s sound settings first, but I’ll take that on the chin.

Yes, I can see there’s lots in it, but it didn’t get in the way.

I even managed to get the SPDIF co-ax output from the dbx386 into the ID14’s Toslink SPDIF input with zero drama beyond a moment or three’s panic when I couldn’t find the converter I just bought. Silly me, I should have looked on the floor first.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Post by sonics »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:11 pm
Sam Spoons wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:08 pmBTW I'm interested to know a bit more about 'source/destination' editing?

Hope that gives you an overview.

Thanks for that.

I use a method utilizing the ripple feature in Studio One. AFAICS I might use a mouse click or two more, but I don't think it's that different. Does anyone know if there anything about a system dedicated to S/D editing that might be better? I know it would be more expensive!

This article from SOS in 2018 describes this feature, which was one of those that encouraged me to start using Studio One as my DAW for everything.
sonics
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

tacitus wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:14 pm So I did actually download Reaper today, and had multiple mikes recording very quickly. Would have been quicker still if I’d checked my mac’s sound settings first, but I’ll take that on the chin.

Yes, I can see there’s lots in it, but it didn’t get in the way.

I even managed to get the SPDIF co-ax output from the dbx386 into the ID14’s Toslink SPDIF input with zero drama beyond a moment or three’s panic when I couldn’t find the converter I just bought. Silly me, I should have looked on the floor first.

You’re right, nothing gets in the way, you can set up a basic template and save that, and then go as deep as you want, but all the most useful stuff that you use all the time, is just right there.
I take my hat off to Reaper, it’s amazing those guys can offer it like they do, just beyond.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:11 pm Hope that gives you an overview.

Thanks Hugh, I do more or less that when editing in Reaper by splitting the source track and dragging and dropping (or copying) the wanted audio into a new track. Reaper has a feature that I find very useful in that if you drag the ends of a cut section it expands to include the audio that came before and/or after the section you'd copied so you don't have to redo a cut that was slightly out of place. I'm guessing that other DAWs have similar but, as I said above, I haven't used any other than Reaper for a very long time.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19584 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.